WnSoft Forums

Network discs

jeffgoodwin

I have a network disc called the K disk, I store all my pictures on the disc. I have two pcs a lap top and a desk top the disk is attacched to the desk top. When I am in another part of the house with my laptop I want to edit a show I have done on my desktop, but all the pictures are on the desktop networked disk, therefore I can not see them because they are not indexed to the laptop pc they are all indexed to the K drive on the dektop PC. Is it possible to rename all the files such as the K:\My pictures\xxxxxx\yyyyyy so that I can see them on my laptop. I can see the network disc on the laptop, but because of the routing I can not see the pictures on my slide show?? . I have shared my pictoexe files on the desktop with the lap top. Any ideas out there.

jeffgoodwin,

You should not need to rename all the files to accomplish your needs.

If you have enabled Network Sharing of the K Drive folders that need accessing ... you should need only to Map the Network Drive (K in your case) on the laptop.

I dont know both your pcs OS ... so the steps may be somewhat different.

Windows XP Mapping a network drive

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/mapdrive.mspx

If you develop a system based on TEMPLATES you could possibly save yourself a lot of work.

Saving a Template at the end of a session creates a Template Folder which contains all images etc used up to the point of saving.

Once created it can be overwritten and remain in the one location. The next time that you work on it (and SAVE) it will add any new images to the Template Folder.

Your system sounds nice but the percieved wisdom in this forum is to keep everything related to a project IN ONE FOLDER.

DG

Jeff,

If you can see the network disc from your laptop, can you also see (in Windows Explorer) the folder that contains the image files?

If you can see the folder, can you see any files listed within that in that folder?

If you can see files listed, can you open any in Windows Preview?

From your brief description, it sounds to me as though your problems might be related to Windows access permissions?

From my limited experience of sharing across home computers, the simplest approach is to store all the image files, sound files and the PTE project file for a PTE sequence under a folder that is unique to that sequence. If you can access this folder with read/write/delete/create authorities from your laptop, PTE should then look after everything for you.

Start point: check that your laptop userid has all the required access permissions to the folder(s) on the network drive. (Use something simple like Notepad to do your tests). Until you know that the permissions are correct, you're chasing ghosts.

regards,

Peter