WnSoft Forums

AVI FILES

David Porter

Can I or how can I create an .avi file that I can send to my son who wants to play it through his media system. "Create avi" seems only to create a file for putting on a DVD. It creates a file but deletes it once you click on finished - or is there another way. Not too technical please.

Hi Mick,

Yes, you can.

First, click on the "create custom AVI Video File" button. Then from the changed screen click on the Video Codec tab and choose one of the available codecs other than the PTE default. Next choose the width, height and frames per second (FPS) desired.

If you have Video Builder you may just want to send him an mp4 rather than an AVI?

Best regards,

Lin

Can I or how can I create an .avi file that I can send to my son who wants to play it through his media system. "Create avi" seems only to create a file for putting on a DVD. It creates a file but deletes it once you click on finished - or is there another way. Not too technical please.

Thanks Lin and Xaver. I am not really up on video codecs and the like so I just used the default PTE codec first of all. I can now get and avi file but it is either huge (2.3gb) or very pix-elated (300mb)so I have sent him and MP4 file and hope this will work for him. If not I shall be back for more advice. When I get a few moments (hours), I will have a look at some of the other stuff on this section in the hope of acquiring more knowledge. Thanks again.

Hi Mick,

The PTE codec is only intended for temporary use while exporting data to a DVD so is relatively uncompressed and not suitable for a stand-alone AVI file. He "probably" will be able to use the MP4 file without incident, but in the event you need to make an AVI if you will report on the Codecs available on your system when you press the "down" arrow to choose a different codec, perhaps we can help you decide which is best for your intended purpose.

The exact codecs available on your system will depend on other software you may have installed, or on codec "Packs" you might have installed. I would assume that you haven't installed any codec packs since you related that you were not "up on video codecs." Usually you will find one or more Microsoft video codecs available and they are usually a safe choice. Whether or not he will be able to "play" the AVI will depend on whether or not his system has the ability to decode (has the codec installed) or which "player" he may be using which may have the codec built in.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin and Xaver. I am not really up on video codecs and the like so I just used the default PTE codec first of all. I can now get and avi file but it is either huge (2.3gb) or very pix-elated (300mb)so I have sent him and MP4 file and hope this will work for him. If not I shall be back for more advice. When I get a few moments (hours), I will have a look at some of the other stuff on this section in the hope of acquiring more knowledge. Thanks again.

Hi Mick,

The PTE codec is only intended for temporary use while exporting data to a DVD so is relatively uncompressed and not suitable for a stand-alone AVI file. He "probably" will be able to use the MP4 file without incident, but in the event you need to make an AVI if you will report on the Codecs available on your system when you press the "down" arrow to choose a different codec, perhaps we can help you decide which is best for your intended purpose.

The exact codecs available on your system will depend on other software you may have installed, or on codec "Packs" you might have installed. I would assume that you haven't installed any codec packs since you related that you were not "up on video codecs." Usually you will find one or more Microsoft video codecs available and they are usually a safe choice. Whether or not he will be able to "play" the AVI will depend on whether or not his system has the ability to decode (has the codec installed) or which "player" he may be using which may have the codec built in.

Best regards,

Lin

Gosh! it does seem complicated. Maybe I would get to grips with it more if I had a modern HD TV and relevant media stuff but as I don't and as my wife says we can't have a new TV until the old one goes wrong (and it has been going for 12 years without one hitch) then I will get back to you when and if. I will let you know if himself has a problem with the mp4 and thank you for the time taken in replying.