WnSoft Forums

Putting Elements Together....

Lin Evans

Putting together disparate elements including stills, video, animated gif, and sound to create a quick and dirty sample which could give rise to ideas for more serious applications in the future....

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/wolf/wolfstorm.zip (about 35 meg - zipped pc executable)

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/wolf/index.htm (800x600 video)

Suggest starting show, then immediately pause and let it buffer to about three inches of "blue gas gauge" the restart to avoid pauses. Unfortunately, I do not yet have the ability to preload - hopefully I've talked Xara into incorporating a preload on the next version of Xara Web Designer 6.

Best regards,

Lin

Unfortunately, I do not yet have the ability to preload - hopefully I've talked Xara into incorporating a preload on the next version of Xara Web Designer 6.

Lin

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the inspiration on some ways to incorporate the new PTE features. The wolf pups were adorable! FYI, Xara Web Designer 7 was released about 2 days ago. I have downloaded it but have not yet had time to play. I did not see anything in the "What's New" regarding preloading, but hopefully it's there somewhere.

Hi Mary,

I've seen the "What's New" for Designer 7, but I saw no mention of preload either. I've had several conversations via email and web with developers of Xara and they were considering adding preload, but I've heard nothing. They do automatically detect HTML5 and there is no need for resident Flash to run MP4's any more. This means your web site with video via Xara Designer 7 would be available to iPad and iPod or iPhone, etc., but if they didn't incorporate preload it was a serious omission in my opinion. I won't upgrade if it's missing....

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Mary,

I just received an email back from Xara - they did not include a preload but once again informed me that it was "on the list of things they were considering" for their next release. That's what they told me a few months ago when I suggested it for their next release (this one which appeared without it) - LOL.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I really don't understand why a company would even bother putting a video output with player and "not" have a preload. If they had even a remote "clue" about their market, they would realize that today HD video is "the" thing among videographers. With almost "any" HD video format, the data stream exceeds all but the fastest DSL and Cable broadband capabilities. People with 1.5 mbps download speed simply have to wait until a sufficient amount of data has streamed or the viewing will be constantly interrupted. It's a relatively simple task to program a preload for a player. I can think of four or five different ways to do it even if it meant providing a "dummy" video with zero opacity which was queued to run before the player would function after load. It's not rocket science. I often wonder why Vimeo, YouTube, etc., don't have that as an option. It's a simple thing, but nearly all except the makers of Flash FTP players seem to ignore it. Go figure....

Best regards,

Lin