WnSoft Forums

confused over sizing of images for shows

Steph

Hello

I have read the forums and found topics which partially answer my problem and I understand how to set the sizing of the show in the project options screen menu to fit the screen I am to show it on.

However, I want my show to fill the screens when shown via my digital projector which is 1024x768 (4:3) and also when I show it via my laptop wire onto my widescreen (16:9) TV.

My question is therefore: Do I have to size my images to the correct aspect ratio before I bring them into PTE? which will mean doing the whole show twice or by setting the aspect ratio in the screen menu, does PTE automatically resize the images without stretching them??

Thanks

Steph

Here's one opinion.

You would be better off (in this case) making two shows.

IF you were to try making one show to fit both scenarios it would have to be a 1920x1080 show to suit your TV which would then be interpolated down when showing on your Projector.

The Aspect Ratio (16:9) would then be Letterbox shaped (1024x576) on your 4:3 projector with black bands top and bottom.

The alternative scenario would be to try a 4:3 show 1080 high. This would fit the height of your TV screen and be interpolated down (acceptably) and fit the 4:3 screen when projected.

The down side is that on the TV you would get black bands on the both sides.

A COMPROMISE would be a 3:2 show at 1080 high which would reduce the thickness of the black bands on both the TV and the Projector compared the the examples above.

One final point: When connecting to the TV the OPTIMUM quality is obtained via a HDMI cable (NOT VGA).

Good luck.

DG

Thanks that is a big help!!

If you could just clarify though: Do I have to size the images to be 1080 high before I bring them into the show? or can I set up PTE to do this automatically - I have been told it will resize automatically but I dont know how it knows which size I want!! (unless it is what I put in on the screen options?)

Thanks again - I have printed your reply for future ref!

Steph

Again, my opinion:

It is better to resize your images to 1080 High (in your case) to get the optimum quality/ PTE file size. The JPEG compression will depend on your camera and its resolution.

If you intend to Zoom into or out of images then the images need to be larger in direct proportion to the Zoom percentage used.

If you are into batch processing then use the 1080 figure for your first run.

Then, if you find that you want to zoom into one or more images go back and resize the originals (of the zoomed images) to suit the zoom percentage being used.

If you zoom into or out of an image by 150% then the image needs to be 1.5x1080=1620 pixels high.

Good luck,

DG