WnSoft Forums

Need sample video files [FINISHED]

Igor

I need two sample video files from Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 7D. Please upload these files. Thanks in advance!

- only 1080p;

- raw MOV format directly from a camera;

- stabilized video captured from these cameras on tripod (if possible).

Hello Charlie,

Thank you for the file!

I discovered interesting thing with this file (Canon 5D) and with my video files from Canon 550D too. Both cameras record video clips at 1080p, but real vertical resolution is only 720 lines.

I capture a frame from a static scene using video editor or MPC-HC. Source size is 1920x1080 pixels. I reduce picture to 1280x720 and then enlarge back to 1980x1080 and there is no difference with original picture. It means that real resolution is equal to 1280x720. And I can convert all my footage for PicturesToExe to 1280x720 keeping original sharpness and reduce CPU loading and disc space.

Same thing with my another compact camera - Canon IXUS 100IS. It records video clips at 1280x720. But real resolution is equal to DVD or so.

I can surmise that we need cameras which can capture video with higher resulution than 1080p.

Hi Igor

Here is a 7D video file, not the most exciting in the world but it is steady. 00:1:37 recorded at 1920*1080 25p.

Hope it uploads OK and you find it useful.

Think the upload did not work, here is a link via Dropbox may take an hour to finish uploading.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17582773/MVI_2144.MOV

Here is a smaller file 15 seconds long

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17582773/MVI_2127.MOV

I have noticed that a piece of HDV footage had more detail than my 1080p 7D footage!

Mike

Thank you, Mike!

I discovered same thing with this video, too. In all cameras, Canon 5D, 7D and 550D real sharpness are equal 1280x720 or so.

Thanks Igor

It is useful to know. I was aware that the method Canon uses to reduce the resolution to video res was crude but hadn't realised they had hacked it all down to 720p. It looks like it may be worth shooting in 720p at 50/60 frames rather than 1080p 25.

Mike

Mike,

I didn't test 720p with Canon 550D yet, but I think it will have a similar problem. Real resolution will be lower than 720p. Very sharp video picture with more details might cause a moire problem (and aliasing), and for this reason Canon reduces resolution. We need cameras which can record at 3K (3000 x 1687 pixels).

Same thing with still images from digital cameras. A picture natively captured at 2048x1365 will not be equal to a picture captured at 5184x3456 and then reduced to 2048x1365 in a graphical editor.