WnSoft Forums

DVD/SVCD

JRR

I am keen on DVD et al, as many people who are recipients of my PTE shows keep asking what about a DVD version.

But I don't have a DVD burner...yet. (Hey, I still do analog 35mm versions of my PTE shows as I am not thrilled with the image quality through a digital projector)

There have been some mentions of the compatibilty issues with DVDs produced from computer burners and DVD players that are bought for viewing movies on DVDs.

Could someone please give us neophytes (luddites some might say ;);) ) a primer on the compatibility issues on DVD and also explain SVCD - if I have the initials right.

The move to DVD is a major improvement for PTE, but the technical details need to be better explained if possible.

Thanks

Hi Jim,

I like you am not up on the DVD thingys and am also an analogue user. But while we wait for the experts to come can I ask you how much you pay for your candles for your projectors, and how you keep your wax cylinders from melting between shows. :D

Your fellow luddite,

Alan

Alan:

I have a team of gerbils than run inside one of those circle cage type things which is attached to a generator. Saves having to clean up the melted waxed !! :D:D

You can get all that you ever wanted to know about DVD, VCD, SVCD and related stuff (and probably a whole lot more) here:

DVDHelp

There is also a complete glossary here:

Glossary

For example - SVCD --

SVCD stands for 'Super VideoCD'. A SVCD is very similiar to a VCD, it has the capacity to hold about 35-60 minutes on 74/80 min CDs of very good quality full-motion MPEG-2 video along with up to 2 stereo audio tracks and also 4 selectable subtitles. A SVCD can be played on many standalone DVD Players and of course on all computers with a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive with the help of a software based decoder / player.

Better read up. If you decide to take advantage of the .AVI output of PTE, you'll need to understand some of this stuff.

Please do not get to excited about the SVCD format. It is second best and only uses MPEG2. The big disadvantage (apart from the poor quality) is that very few DVD players will play the finished disc - you will need a special player!

You will not get better than the .exe file on a computer screen.

Ron West

>>The big disadvantage (apart from the poor quality) is that very few DVD players will play the finished disc - you will need a special player!<<

A "special player??" I've been using ProShow Gold to make SVCD shows for months now as a way to distribute "digital proofs" to my photo clients. At home my "special player" is an Apex 1000AD which cost me a "whopping" $40 at Walmart. The machine plays just about any kind of disc I can throw at it. I've had very few customers complain that they can't play the SVCD format. I think you'd be surprised how many players will actually play this format and quality looks pretty good too.

Interestingly, it's often the higher-priced Sony's, Panasonics, and "name brand" DVD players that don't play SVCD. But, the same site I mentioned earlier in the thread - DVDhelp.com has a section that will tell you which players will play which formats. Give it a try before you "dis" it.

Unless you have a DVD burner, SVCD provides the best quality, next to DVD, on common CDs. You don't need a 'special' player to play SVCD, just a 'smart' one. I won't be surprises that most new players can play anything nowadays. My 3 year old Pioneer DV-333 players play all my VCD/SVCD/DVD disks, either they are commercially made or home made. Look for the $100 Apex models. If one DVD player can play VCD, the chance is very good that it plays SVCD. Don't forget that not every DVD player can play all HOME MADE DVD disks either. The compatibility issue has been around and is still around. Try the player before you buy it.

I would like to say that now many players DVD are compatible SVCD. The SVCD (PTE SVCD) gives a very good quality of image, near to that of DVD. Moreover for a little price (CDR).

All the tests which we made with friends here in France are excellent and confirmed by the first users of the 4.20.

Everyone does not have yet an hardware to make DVD, but of course, in the future, when the price will have decreased, it will be necessary better use the DVD for the optimal quality.

But , I repeat, all my tests are almost equal between SVCD (PTE SVCD) and DVD.