WnSoft Forums

playing slideshows on a MAC

Photofanatic

Hello - please forgive me if I am stating the obvious but am I right in thinking that PTE for Mac is still not available? but exe slideshows and also videos created on a windows PC can be played back on a Mac??

I am thinking of buyimg a Mac but I am a bit confused as to how far PTE has been developed for Mac.

Thanks

Joy

Joy,

It is my understanding that Igor has abandoned work on a native Mac version of PTE. But there are many forum members who successfully use their existing PTE versions under Windows running in a "virtual machine" environment. Take a good look at the topics in the Mac section of the forum. If you need further advice post specific questions there or try contacting some individuals via PMs through the forum.

regards,

Peter

Joy,

Please read the first pinned topic from Igor as it relates to Mac version development.

Delay with PicturesToExe for Mac

I am thinking of buyimg a Mac but I am a bit confused as to how far PTE has been developed for Mac

There has been no PicturesToExe- Mac versions released to date. PicturesToExe does currently output to a executable file to be played on a Mac ... but its not to be confused with the .exe executable file for Windows pc platforms.

Hi Peter,

Igor has not abandoned work on a native Mac version - it is just taking much longer than originally anticipated. Once all the video, audio and other new features are implemented successfully, work will continue on the Mac version. As Stu points out in his link, it may be a year or two until it's finished, but it has "not" been abandoned... In order to proceed smoothly, it's necessary to code in a language which can be used by "both" Windows and Apple OS. This will take time because some of the common languages such as C++ are incredibly kludge in terms of overhead, etc. They tend to greatly slow down things, and I'm certain that the developers of PTE want something "much" more concise and with much tighter code.

A great example of how this type of overhead can ruin a great program is dBase II. dBase II was written primarily in assembler with some C. It was incredibly fast and powerful and could be run even on 8 bit systems such as CPM. Then when the primary developer left and the bean counters took over, they used C to write dBase III. It was still usable, but much slower and with heavy overhead. The "progressed" to C++ for dBase IV and essentially "killed" the program. It was slow, ponderous and essentially worthless for getting things done in a quick and efficient fashion. We sure don't want this kind of thing to happen to PTE!!

Best regards,

Lin

Joy,

It is my understanding that Igor has abandoned work on a native Mac version of PTE. But there are many forum members who successfully use their existing PTE versions under Windows running in a "virtual machine" environment. Take a good look at the topics in the Mac section of the forum. If you need further advice post specific questions there or try contacting some individuals via PMs through the forum.

regards,

Peter

Igor has not abandoned work on a native Mac version - it is just taking much longer than originally anticipated. Once all the video, audio and other new features are implemented successfully, work will continue on the Mac version. As Stu points out in his link, it may be a year or two until it's finished, but it has "not" been abandoned...

he said it's on hold, so abandoned temporarily. I had high hopes for a Mac version when PTE started outputing Mac shows a couple of years ago, but now its going to be a couple more years. What if in the meantime, they decide its not worth it to finish it?

the current version works great in vmware. Why even bother with a mac version. Spend the time making the PC version better.

In order to proceed smoothly, it's necessary to code in a language which can be used by "both" Windows and Apple OS. This will take time because some of the common languages such as C++ are incredibly kludge in terms of overhead, etc. They tend to greatly slow down things, and I'm certain that the developers of PTE want something "much" more concise and with much tighter code.

My software developer housemate thinks that is incredibly funny.