WnSoft Forums

NEC Projectors

Photofanatic

I am thinking of getting a digital projector and have been reading up on what to look for. I understand the higher lumen output and contrast ratio the better. I don't want to pay the earth as it won't be used that much so will probably have to settle for on of the older 4:3 native format machines. I have seen a few NEC models advertised which seem to be good value - does anyone know of these? or maybe someone could recommend a good one which gives good balance of brightness contrast and price! I will be unlikely to use it in a very big room from a big distance but may sometimes want it running in the corner of a large room with the projector fairly near the screen. I would welcome any advice Thanks

Joy

Igor bought a 1920x1080 a couple of years ago Joy.

I am aware of your need to spend thriftily, but in terms of what is current technology and what is, effectively, old (dead) technology you could perhaps save a little longer for something which is not going to go out of date (spec wise) for a while yet. Some diehards are hanging on to their 1024x768 projectors but once you have seen the difference between them and 1920x1080 you don't turn back!!

The other point worth making is that "secondhand" 1024x768 projectors of any make are more likely to give trouble and the bulbs, if required, are very expensive.

It might be worth visiting a few clubs which have a variety of resolutions, makes and qualities of projectors and get some feedback from them?

It would be great if Igor could also give us some feedback, a couple years after having bought his, on what he now thinks of the technology etc. The club that I belong to will never return to 1024x768 after making the change a couple of years ago.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Joy

I have had 2 1024 x 768 or 4-3 projectors. If you are using it as you have said you will find them most adequate, particularly for displaying un cropped images from a 3-2 format camera. My current projector is the bottom of the range Sony, bought from Amazon 2 years ago for just over £200. I make my PTE shows to suit my 5-4 monitor and they show quite happily on my projector. I do take care of my equipment & it hasn't let me down yet. Try not to buy second hand with a so called low hours unit, It is possible to re-set the run hours on most projectors to make them appear to have had little use. Google a company called Projector Point, there is lots of valuable technical information on there.

Yachtsman1.

If you do go for a 1024/768 projector, make sure it is rated at 1024/768 and not 800/600. A lot of people will state that it shows 1024/768 well, but it will be downsizing to 800/600. 800/600 looks really coarse alongside 1024/768 and not worth having these days.

Colin

Dave

at the time you had the right attitude - - look to the future as far ahead as you can afford because this technology changes so fast -- you will not be sorry

some of us have been advocating ws hd tv/hdmi for the past 4-5 yrs - now the message is getting thru to some :)

ken

Thanks to everyone for all their opinions and advice!

I think I have got the message that I need to avoid the traditional 4:3 format and that the best one to go for which would last the longest in terms of keeping up with fast advancing technology would be a 1920x1080 - full HD - These however are a bit out of my price range at the moment!

Could I ask some of you to have a look at these 2 which seem to offer a happy medium in terms of format and most of all price: http://www.projectorsite.co.uk/index.php?p=product&id=123&parent=6 and also http://projectorsector.com/epages/eshop659767.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop659767/Products/hd75

Would they be a good compromise and which of the two is better?

Thanks again

Joy

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Joy

I don't know if you looked at projector point? If you go to their questions & answer page, they explain the various types & their uses. I looked at the two you suggested but couldn't identify either with the makes I know. I've added a link to PP sites pricing page which will enable you to scroll down all the ones they stock, which are the most common. I would steer away from models termed "Home Cinema" if you want good photographic reproduction. I'm not suggesting you buy from them, just look at their suggestions then shop around, Amazon is a good starting point. Also take a look at PP's special offers.

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectorfullpricelist.htm

Yachtsman.

• 2 weeks later...