WnSoft Forums

Running External Application - IS THIS A BUG IGOR?

JEB

Help please.

I am using PTE7 Beta 17 on Win 7 (64)

I am preparing a PTE presentation(manually controlled) for a talk and intend to augment the talk by breaking out to specific PTE sequences stored on the desktoputilizing the "Run external application" feature in "Customizeslide".

I had this working yesterday but nowthat I am beginning to make alterations to the content of the mainpresentation sequence I find that when the designated "trigger"slide is displayed it refuses to open the requested sequence. I havechecked that I have a tick in "Run external slide" and haveremoved and re-navigated to the desired sequence but still nosuccess.

Any ideas?

John

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding.

No I did not move any sequences and they were all where they always were on my desktop.

I decided to move everything to the laptop I will be using on the night by saving the master sequence to zip, copying the other sequences over also and placing all in one folder on the laptop desktop. Initially all worked smoothly, but on checking before responding to you the master sequence ignored the instructions to run the externals! Very odd. I moved nothing whatsoever. All I did was to switch off the laptop for an hour or so.

While preparing this response I have returned to the laptop, re-specified the external sequences and it worked fine within PTE. I then decided to create an exe saved it and that ran as expected. I have now reopened the PTE file and it will not work. Very strange!

John

Hi John,

This may, or may not, be a relevant factor, but I notice you mention Win 7 !?

With Win 7 there is always the issue of 'Run as administrator' relating to running programs (.exe files).

This could well crop up when trying to run one program (.exe file) from an instruction contained within another program (.exe file). This could be one slideshow trying to call up another slideshow, or indeed PTE (which is an .exe file) running in 'Preview' mode trying to call up another external .exe file.

I have encountered this when (under Win 7) I'm trying to 'run a JPG' from within a PTE slideshow (which calls up an runs Photoshop by association) ~ both the PTE slideshow and Photoshop have to have administrators rights before each will work with each other. It can get confusing at times !?

This MAY be relevant to what you're experiencing.

bjc

bjc,

Thanks for your reply.

I was not aware of this issue. I have checked in "properties" of all files and can recognise no restriction being set.

However, what I find is that while working in the PTE file and running a Preview it works until I carry out some alteration (add slide, change text object etc.) after which it doesn't act on the instruction even though it is there. If I remove the instruction and re-enter it all is well until the next change is made somewhere. Having said that, if I then create an exe file that works as it should. It sounds very much to me that it is some sort of bug so I will post it as such.

From my standpoint at this time the panic is over but it would be as well to be resolved.

Thanks again to you both.

John

Ken,

Delighted to hear that somebody else has experienced this, particularly "one of the heavies" !

I'm sure we will get a solution once Igor has had a look.

No point in me wading through all that stuff Ken - it's just Double Dutch to me, but thanks for the compliment.

John