WnSoft Forums

Irfanview for PTE avi & mpeg

LumenLux

The new PTE avi feature has me looking more closely at Irfanview function. Although I have used Irfanview for a long time, I find there are undoubtably simple things I don't understand. Any help here would be appreciated.

Initially, when I tried Irfanview to run a PTE avi file, I experienced sound only. Now I see in Irfanview that I can open the irfanview Player and that will indeed show video and sound of the PTE produced avi. But from reading the help info in Irfanview, it appears there may be a way to use a plugin so that it would be unnecessary to open the Irfanview Player. I would like to simply click on the PTE produced avi file and have Irfanview be the default player that would open and run the avi file.

Related question. When downloading Irfanview I always download the "All Plugins" file for Irfanview. But how do I install the plugins? Do you need to install individually any of the plugins you desire to use? If so, I click on a selected plugin (.dll) but I get the old "open with" dialog. I can't tell if the plugins actually are activated. Maybe if no one else knows, guru can appear and explain how this should work. :huh:

Robert, from irfanview's site

Please use always the current IrfanView and PlugIn version ...

How to install IrfanView PlugIns?

1) Download all PlugIns, see below

2) Click on the PlugIn file (all_plugins.exe)

3) PlugIns will be installed into IrfanView "PlugIns" directory

Note: A normal IrfanView version includes the following (most important) PlugIns:

Effects, Icons, Mpg, Slideshow-EXE and Video.

1. You can download ALL PlugIns as one large EXE (recommended):

TUCOWS Worldwide Network - download IrfanView plugins

Alternative download site: all_plugins.exe

2. You can download ALL PlugIns as one large ZIP

(for experienced users!):

Alternative download site: all_plugins.zip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can download the PlugIns as 4 separate ZIP files (for experienced users!):

1. iv_mmedia.zip. Contains these PlugIns: IV_Player, Med, Mp3, Mpg, Nero, Quicktime, Real Audio, Slideshow-EXE, SoundPlayer, Video.

2. iv_formats.zip. Contains these PlugIns: B3d, Crw, Cs_Dxf, DjVu, EaFsh, Ecw, Flash, Formats, Fpx, Ics, JPEG2000, Jpm, Kdc, Ldf, LogoManager, Lwf, Mng, Mrc, MrSID, PhotoCD, Sff, Wad.

3. iv_effects.zip. Contains these PlugIns: 8BF_Filters, Effects, Filter Factory, Filters Unlimited.

4. iv_misc.zip. Contains these PlugIns: Email, Exif, Icons, Iptc, Jpg_Transform, Ncc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plugins updated after the version 3.85:

CS_DXF

ken

Robert,

Just adding to Ken's reply ...

Theres no dll's run and install other than executing the all_plugins.exe. Since this creates the Plugins folder and places all the dll's for you.

Did you know you can also use other photo filters (.8bf) to give you special effects ... alot of the same ones used in PSP and PS.

As to :

But from reading the help info in Irfanview, it appears there may be a way to use a plugin so that it would be unnecessary to open the Irfanview Player.

You need to enable the ext types you want IrfanView to open by default (when its Dbl-Clicked). Just open the options/ properties/extentions menu and select the ext's you want to associate with IrfanView.

Thank you Ken and nobeefstu. That clarifies some of the issues. One aspect still confuses. I have indeed set in Irfanview, the extensions that it should be the default program for. For most chosen extensions, I can click on the file and Irfanview will open and display or play or whatever. However, for mpeg video files that does not work. If I simply click on the video file, Irfanview opens itself to full screen and the entire display area is filled with rapidly flashing multi-colored horizontal lines. The only way I can use Irfanview to play the mpg video is by going to Options/open multimedia player/ and then loading the mpg file. Can you try this and see if you have the same situation? I had previously read something on the Irfanview site that led me to believe I could click-n-play without having to open Irfanview and then the MM Player and then load the file.

I'm editing this post to also mention, if I use Irfanview "normally" to play the PTE-produced .avi, only the audio plays. If I use Irfanview/options/multimedia plug-in/ both audio and video play. And I am once again impressed by the quality of avi produced by PTE.