WnSoft Forums

Jing Screen Recording Software

gogs

Hi

When searching this forum looking for advice on screen recording software for creating tutorials I came across an old thread that goes back to 2007/08 and noticed a few people were interested in this.

Since ther has been no further mention of this topic I wondered if those people had found what they were looking for.

If not then they might want to look at Jing a free piece of software that is part of TechSmiths Camtasia. I have downloaded it certainly seems to be a great piece of software that can capture screen movement in video with sound or capture still images (i.e. defined portions of your screen). The resultant video is in only in flash format .swf but if you want to upgrade to the pro version (for something like $15 per year) you can also record MEPG4.

Have a look here

http://www.techsmith.com/jing-features.html

gogs

Hi

When searching this forum looking for advice on screen recording software for creating tutorials I came across an old thread that goes back to 2007/08 and noticed a few people were interested in this.

Since ther has been no further mention of this topic I wondered if those people had found what they were looking for.

If not then they might want to look at Jing a free piece of software that is part of TechSmiths Camtasia. I have downloaded it certainly seems to be a great piece of software that can capture screen movement in video with sound or capture still images (i.e. defined portions of your screen). The resultant video is in only in flash format .swf but if you want to upgrade to the pro version (for something like $15 per year) you can also record MEPG4.

Have a look here

http://www.techsmith...g-features.html

gogs

=========================

gogs,

Thanks for the info. I just gave it a try and it works just fine. In fact, I just posted my current problem with PTE using Jing to show actually what is happening.

http://www.picturest...ge/page__st__20 (see Post 32).

Cool piece of software. It is too bad the free version only outputs in swf format. I couldn't find any free software to convert swf to avi or mp4. Is there a way to do this???

You got me interested in finding more capture programs and I ran across BB Flashback Express.

http://www.bbsoftwar...press/Home.aspx

The nice thing about this program is you can export as AVI and no recording time limit and free. The only problem I have found is that every once in a while, when exporting to AVI, my monitor goes black and I have to use the PC's On/Off button to turn it off and then reboot. Might be just my problem. Haven't sorted it out yet but I did send this question to their tech support. No answer yet.

But thanks for the Jing idea. Very useful.

Gary

=========================

gogs,

Thanks for the info. I just gave it a try and it works just fine. In fact, I just posted my current problem with PTE using Jing to show actually what is happening.

http://www.picturest...ge/page__st__20 (see Post 32).

Cool piece of software. It is too bad the free version only outputs in swf format. I couldn't find any free software to convert swf to avi or mp4. Is there a way to do this???

You got me interested in finding more capture programs and I ran across BB Flashback Express.

http://www.bbsoftwar...press/Home.aspx

The nice thing about this program is you can export as AVI and no recording time limit and free. The only problem I have found is that every once in a while, when exporting to AVI, my monitor goes black and I have to use the PC's On/Off button to turn it off and then reboot. Might be just my problem. Haven't sorted it out yet but I did send this question to their tech support. No answer yet.

But thanks for the Jing idea. Very useful.

Gary

Hi Gary

Glad that you found Jing to be OK. I have not come across any software, as yet, for converting .swf files to AVI or MPEG. I am sure that there will be something out there though.

I like Jing but felt that the 5 minute max was a bit tight so I might also look at BB Flashback.

Gogs

Hi Gary

Glad that you found Jing to be OK. I have not come across any software, as yet, for converting .swf files to AVI or MPEG. I am sure that there will be something out there though.

I like Jing but felt that the 5 minute max was a bit tight so I might also look at BB Flashback.

Gogs

====================

Gogs,

Yes, the 5 minutes in Jing goes by too fast.

If you try BB FlashBack Express, let me know if you can find any way to edit the screen capture in it Player. I can't see any way. But I get around this by exporting the screen capture in AVI and editing it in Freemake Video Converter (free program).

I updated the BBFB to a newer version and I got an error message (LogSysServer.exe) but it seemed to go ahead and install the latest version, 3.2.2.2096. I like their highlighted cursor, which Jing does not have. But Jing has a nice single image capture with the ability to add text, blocks and arrows. :)

Gary

====================

Gogs,

Yes, the 5 minutes in Jing goes by too fast.

If you try BB FlashBack Express, let me know if you can find any way to edit the screen capture in it Player. I can't see any way. But I get around this by exporting the screen capture in AVI and editing it in Freemake Video Converter (free program).

I updated the BBFB to a newer version and I got an error message (LogSysServer.exe) but it seemed to go ahead and install the latest version, 3.2.2.2096. I like their highlighted cursor, which Jing does not have. But Jing has a nice single image capture with the ability to add text, blocks and arrows. :)

Gary

Hi Gary

I have just got around to downloading and trying BB Flashback Express. It appears that you are unable to edit any screen recorded movies unless upgrading to the standard or pro version. I like the highlighted cursor and the fact that you can record longer than the 5 minutes allotd by Jing. But I find the play back screen a bit of a distraction across the top with all the raw data particularly as it seems to be of no direct use when you cannot edit it.

I have not as yet tried editing in other software yet. I think I will continue to play with it meantime but at the moment do not think I will register at the end of the thirty day period. Jing still my favourite at the moment.

Gogs

Hi Gary

I have just got around to downloading and trying BB Flashback Express. It appears that you are unable to edit any screen recorded movies unless upgrading to the standard or pro version. I like the highlighted cursor and the fact that you can record longer than the 5 minutes allotd by Jing. But I find the play back screen a bit of a distraction across the top with all the raw data particularly as it seems to be of no direct use when you cannot edit it.

I have not as yet tried editing in other software yet. I think I will continue to play with it meantime but at the moment do not think I will register at the end of the thirty day period. Jing still my favourite at the moment.

Gogs

=====================

Hi Gogs,

I liked Jing too, but the big reason that I now prefer BBFE is that I can output the file as an AVI, and the highlighted cursor. And with AVI, you have more choices to play it back. Yes, the editing features are not available with BBFE version. But I just open the AVI with Freemake Video Converter and that allows me trim the beginning and end and cut out sections I don't want. And, I can then re-save the AVI as a smaller sized file by choosing lower bit rates, or no audio, etc., or in other formats. Really is a nice combination.

Gary