WnSoft Forums

Rydal Beck

stonemason

Rydal Beck (river) runs through the grounds of Rydal Hall in the english Lake District. When I was there last November I took lots of slow shutter speed shots, trying to capture the essance of the river.

Details 1200 x800 30mb download 3mins 13 seconds duration.

Comments welcome, download Here

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

You have made an excellent technical job of photograhing what you were after and have produced many interesting images. However, and I know I shall be alone in this, I hate slow shutter speed shots of streams and waterfalls etc. Rather than capturing the essence of the stream it puts me in mind of the stream being fed by hundreds of washing machines on "rinse cycle".

Ken

I have in mind to do another slideshow of that area, which doesn't concentrate on the beck, so you may get your wish.

Mickp

No you won't be alone, it's the one type of shot that tends to split photographers into two distinct camps those who like them and those that don't. Personally I can appreciate both,and as it's a very fast moving beck, I thought the slow shutter speed worked, however it would be a very grey world if we all liked the same. Thanks to you and Ken for your views.

Geoff

I think when your photographing running water you either have to use a very fast shutter speed to freeze the droplets or slow to show the movement; done well, they can both look really good.

The images as presented are really well taken, and look good. My only downside is the reputation of similar images, which is not telling me the story of Rydal Beck or as you say the essence of the river. This is a shame as it looks from the shots at the start and end to be a very beautiful place; I think if you interspersed these close ups with some more general views, this would be a really great slidshow.

Certainly the timing and transitions are done well, each images is quite sharp, thanks for sharing t with us.

Hello Geoff

You have produced some beautiful images of the river and I am in the 'do like' camp. It is about what you are portraying. If it is a documentary of the river then perhaps slow shutter speeds are not appropriate and then 'pictures' rather than 'image' may be better.I would have liked to see the images taken earlier in the autumn when there is a mixture of leaf fall colour. These type of pics are brightened by some greens and yellows among the browns. You will now tell me it was early autumn and only beech leaves fall there :(

On the sequence I feel there are some very similar images being used. You have so many really lovely shots would it be possible to remove some of the images and lengthen the dissolves between others then the viewer can flow along with the water. Your music would still suit that treatment.

Still enjoyed it though.

Snapcam