WnSoft Forums

Does PTE deal with ICC profiles?

Jiellesse

It seems that PTE is not ICC aware and I desribe what happens for me.

My display is calibrated using Spyder3. My OS is Windows 7 (64bits). All my workflow is sRGB. The profile sRGB leads to colors A, and MyProfile leads to colors B (attached file). For a JPEG (sRGB, without embedded profile), the expected behavior is:

I set the profile sRGB, then I launch a program: it should display colors A.

When I switch to MyProfile (using W7 color manager) during execution, the program could display colors A or B depending on the ability to take into account profiles at run time.

Without profile change, I restart the program that should display colors B , and finally I switch to profile sRGB, and the program could again display colors A or B

For Photoshop Elements 8, ViewNX2, CaptureNX2, and Windows7 photo Viewer, I got the following results:

For profile sRGB -> colors A ; switch to MyProfile -> colors A1 (a little darker than A)

I restart the program -> Colors B ; switch to profile sRGB -> colors B1 (a little lighter than B )

(When opening the editors of CNX2 and PSE8 without leaving the program, the right colors are displayed in any case)

Comment: switching to the profile MyProfile, I got A1 that are not the expected colors B: I deduce that some work is done at launching time only (the same for B to B1). Moreover, some delay is necessary after switching to get the right colors, maybe due to memory cache issues.

For PTE I got:

For profile sRGB -> colors A ; switch to MyProfile -> colors A1

I restart PTE -> Colors A1 ; switch to profile sRGB -> colors A

Comment: PTE does not display colors B. Even whent I set MyProfile as default profile in Windows, the result is the same: I never got the expected colors. I assume that PTE use sRGB colors whatever the Windows profile.

Several replies are possible:

- my experiment is bad (why?),

- there is a problem with my computer (any idea?)

- PTE does not handle profiles

- ?

Any explanation? Many thanks!

PTE works with sRGB images.

DG

This sounds misleading. PTE's behavior with respect to color management is transparent. The user has to prepare his/her images according to the color profile of the monitor where the final show is to be presented, see also here.

Regards,

Xaver

This sounds misleading. PTE's behavior with respect to color management is transparent. The user has to prepare his/her images according to the color profile of the monitor where the final show is to be presented, see also here.

Not a good news! I understand that PTE does not manage display profiles.

Using tools such as XnView to add the colors is not user-friendly, I prefer to see the final colors on the screen (as XnView do). Moreover, you have to manage as many set of files as the number of screens, and the workflow is a little bit more complicated.

I check quickly your idea since I use XnView: the good point is to see the final image with PTE, the bad point is additionnal transformations.

Many thanks for information :)

In my opinion, it would be useful to add into PTE an option to use profiles.

Moreover, you have to manage as many set of files as the number of screens, and the workflow is a little bit more complicated.

In my opinion, it would be useful to add into PTE an option to use profiles.

Wings Platinum offers the feature that you want to see, but users are warned to use it. Automatic color management reduces the performance significantly. Even with Wings you have to prepare different versions of graphical data for different color managed monitors :angry:

Regards,

Xaver