WnSoft Forums

PTE and Lightroom

stonemason

I use lightroom to prepare and export most of my images as .jpg files for inclusion in slideshows. When I export, I use the lightroom "sharpen for screen" option, and this seems to work quite well. However now there is the option to "unsharp mask" in PTE, would it be better if the images were not sharpened in the lightroom export process? I will do a couple of trials, but wondered if anyone had any views or experiance in this area. I would be particularly interested in Igor's view on this also.

Geoff

Geoff,

I do all of my sharpening selectively (very important), in my RAW converter of choice using presets which suit the intended application.

Applying the same sharpening settings before and after re-sizing will produce different results so, contrary to what I have always been told that I should do, I sharpen before re-sizing using settings which produce an acceptable result after re-sizing has taken place.

Mostly, my JPEGs are used in PTE firstly in PTE shows and secondly for Competitions.

I don't know of anyone who is NOT using PTE for Competition in our locality so if it works in PTE on my 1920x1200 screen it will work when projected at 1920x1080 in a competition.

DG

Thanks for the input Davegee. I only take RAW files, and convert as required using lightroom. My question is primarily aimed at images used for PTE slideshows, and avoiding shimmering on the transition from one image to the next, which can be caused by oversharpening. As to competitions, if it's not too much trouble, I would be very interested in how you run competitions using PTE. Our club uses iview media pro to project images on the competition night. This among other things enables us to flag an image on the fly if the judge wishes to see it again to make final decisions. None flaged images can then be excluded from the final judgement slideshow by one keystroke. I can't really see an obvious way that such a system could be as easily achived using PTE, and would be interested to hear from anyone with ideas as to how this can be done.

Geoff

Geoff,

I made a 1920x1080 template for this and will PM it to you later if you want? My main concern has always been that there should absolutely NO modification of the submitted images of any kind. DEFINITELY no interpolation! All images in sRGB up to 1920x1080.

Basically, I have an index at the front end with links to every Image in the Comp (default number is 60). Links to Image 01, Image 02 etc up to 60. That way it's the same for every comp.

When the mouse is brought into play on any image I click on the HOME icon to go to the Index. I then click on the link to the Image he wants. When he has seen that - HOME icon - next Image number link.

During the Comp the right arrow takes you through each image passing through a black blank slide - no third images. It works smoothly, quickly and efficiently (when I'm on the mouse).

On your other point the avoidance of shimmering is helped enormously by selectively sharpening. Like you, uncompressed RAW only - 25Mb/12Mp files.

Remove in camera sharpening - apply a mixture of HP and USM SELECTIVELY to suit the image. Rarely are two images the same so batching is out. Skies and foliage are NEVER sharpened.

DG