WnSoft Forums

"Not the Phantom of the Opera"

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

This is a follow up on the posts relating to something to do on a wet afternoon, & my attempts at bettering my animation skills, so be warned, put your tongue in your cheek.

What I've learned from putting this one together is to improve my magnetic lasooing skills, take more time in assembling the show, hopefully I will improve.

Mechanics.Mediafire download, 18.5MB,run time 4m 27s, 54 slides, 5-4 aspect ratio, slide size fixed, for Ken everything else enabled except copy screen shot.

Yachtsman1 :ph34r:

http://www.mediafire.com/?cjo9cn9oltb59o1

Hi Erik,

Nice one! Actually, no matter how carefully you try to use the magnetic lasso, you won't be able to perfectly cut things out for the PNG files. Instead, use the eraser tool and zoom way in on your transparency and carefully cut out the remaining areas which you missed. The best way I've found is to do it all with the eraser. Zoom way in. It takes more time, but the results will be much better.

In future versions of PTE, I believe we will have the ability to use green screen video with alpha channel masking. There are some wonderful curtain video effects available, but they require the software to have alpha channel masking capabilities. Actually, right now you can use them in software such as Adobe Premiere Elements and then transfer the "doctored" video to PTE. Even a perfectly executed curtain effect in PTE complete with compression (disconnecting the two X axis values) of the curtains as they open, still looks "stiff" and artificial compared to the incredible three dimensional video effects possible.

You are definitely getting the hang of it! Even if there is no place for most of our "animations" in serious AV competition, it's still fun and some amazing creations can be made so keep at it - here's for more "rainy days!!"

Best regards,

Lin

ERIC

as Ed Sullivan would say "ladies and gentlemen we have a very bid shew tonight - may i present Eric Shepherd's rendition of the Phantom of the opera"

great job mate - lot of work

I use to have 2-3 tapes of the show - we thought it was too skeery for the 4 yr old g'son:))

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ken & Lin

Ken you'd better not take him to see Sweeny Todd.

Lin Regarding video in slide shows, I think it's a bit of a cop out and yet another way of spending our pension, of which I am at the limit, I was attracted to PTE with what could be acheived prior to adding video, which may be dinasaurus, then again it would be a sad old world if we all thought the same.

A case in point being 16-9, my new laptop is 16-9 because I couldn't find the res that suits me, however the intension is only to use it to show my 5-4 shows. I will still build them on my 5-4 desktop.

I'm upset now that only Peter mentioned my new avatar :(:(:(

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

That was very good with a good mix of animation. I am all for animation and wish time was on my side to develop the skills

required. I find myself busy trying out chroma key on my video editor at the moment and creating some very good effects.

I agree with Lin, the best tool to use is the eraser tool and this Lin advised me on when I first started out on Photoshop. Works very well,

though patience is required.

I find with animation, one needs imagination and this is not lacking for many users on this forum.

Thank you for sharing and as was mentioned, keep trying...."practice makes perfect"

Colin

Hi Ken,

You don't need to "spend" anything to use video - you already have video capabilities with your dSLR and there are hundreds and even thousands of free video clips and video effects available, the only "investment" is in the time you take to use them and the small learning curve.

Mixing video and stills can be done seamlessly and to great effect - definitely the best of both worlds. But, as you say, it would indeed be sad if everyone thought the same. Diversity is indeed the spice of life....

Now that new avatar - hmmm the implications are endless - LOL. Sweet stuff on a walker - Yep...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Ken & Lin

Ken you'd better not take him to see Sweeny Todd.

Lin Regarding video in slide shows, I think it's a bit of a cop out and yet another way of spending our pension, of which I am at the limit, I was attracted to PTE with what could be acheived prior to adding video, which may be dinasaurus, then again it would be a sad old world if we all thought the same.

A case in point being 16-9, my new laptop is 16-9 because I couldn't find the res that suits me, however the intension is only to use it to show my 5-4 shows. I will still build them on my 5-4 desktop.

I'm upset now that only Peter mentioned my new avatar :(:(:(

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

coincidentally Andrew Webber is on tv being interviewed right now and he said his rendition of Phantom is 25 yrs old

-- he was first published when he was 9 yrs old

he has written some great pieces - was a great interview - he did not put on "airs" at all -- he actually giggled like a schoolboy at his accomplishments !!

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

That was very good with a good mix of animation. I am all for animation and wish time was on my side to develop the skills

required. I find myself busy trying out chroma key on my video editor at the moment and creating some very good effects.

I agree with Lin, the best tool to use is the eraser tool and this Lin advised me on when I first started out on Photoshop. Works very well,

though patience is required.

I find with animation, one needs imagination and this is not lacking for many users on this forum.

Thank you for sharing and as was mentioned, keep trying...."practice makes perfect"

Colin

Hi Colin

I did use a combination of the Magic Lasso & the Background Eraser Tool, which I've had available since I started using Elements a few years ago. However, it wasn't until I got a copy of Elements 10 at Christmas that I started experimenting with the tools, other than crop & straighten. I'm putting together another spoof show using mine & my Wife's picture & have come across a slide that warrants another go at complex (for me) animation, with more care, watch this space.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.