WnSoft Forums

Current Feelings on Projectors

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Now I have a laptop with an HDMI connection I thought I would sound out members with what they or their clubs are using (only HDMI compatable). I would want to show my existing 4-3 5-4 and probably 16-9 shows & commercial DVD's without pixel squishing, which I believe happens on some systems. A maximum budget of around £700ish (or am I dreaming)is all I would want to pay. My previous post on this subject is now redundant as the Acer ultra portable has been discontinued. :unsure:

Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

This is just to give you a help out and may be useful to you.

Its the range of 3M-Digital Projectors (Commercial) used by

Govmt-Depts, Colleges, Schools, and Industry. These units

will also handle DVD-reproduction.

They offer a lot of "Tech-Information" which will be of use

to you. Prices start below $250 and Commercial above $250

Details and links below.

Brian.(Conflow)

Web-Site & inclusive links to all Data

1)

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Meetings/Home/ProductsAndServices/Product_Catalog/Digital_Projectors/

Screen-Calculator (Calculates over 50 Models worth keeping)

2)

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Meetings/Home/ProductsAndServices/Product_Catalog/Digital_Projectors/Screen_Calculator/

Screenshot

My camera club has just today purchased a Dell 4320 DLP projector. It is a WXGA machine, 800 x 1280 pixels, HDMI and other options, 4500 lumens.

We looked at higher definition machines offering 1080p but considered the on-screen difference to be quite small. For a smallish club, about 50 members, we think it will do us for a while, certainly better than our existing elderly 1024 x 768 LCD Epson.

Guest Yachtsman1

My camera club has just today purchased a Dell 4320 DLP projector. It is a WXGA machine, 800 x 1280 pixels, HDMI and other options, 4500 lumens.

We looked at higher definition machines offering 1080p but considered the on-screen difference to be quite small. For a smallish club, about 50 members, we think it will do us for a while, certainly better than our existing elderly 1024 x 768 LCD Epson.

Have you tried it with historical PTE show sized at 4-3, is there any bleed over the screen of the WXGA image?

Regards

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

My current Sony XGA projector only has 18 hours on the lamp from new, in delving around the projector market I came across a VGA to HDMI conversion box, has anyone tried one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-HDMI-VGA-3-5mm-Audio-HDTV-HD-Video-Converter-BOX-Adapter-PS3-XBOX-360-/170758103779?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item27c1f9e2e3

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

Yes I realise that, the intention if I got the converter was to use it on my existing projector which has no HDMI sockets only SubD VGA. I would continue to use my stand alone speakers. But if it degrades the picture, I would carry on looking at another projector.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

After much soul searcing & analysis I decided to plunge & buy a new projector. I finally chose the Optoma HD600X-LV which I got at a good price from Amazon UK. I couldn't justify spending a massive amount as it won't be used that often. Details in the PDF file. It arrived this morning & testing it with the new LT with a commercial DVD & a PTE exe file I am quite pleased at my choice.

Yachtsman1

HD600X-LV-B-en-GB.pdf

Have you tried it with historical PTE show sized at 4-3, is there any bleed over the screen of the WXGA image?

Regards

Yachtsman1

Hello Eric,

Yes I ran a couple of shows made for 1024 x 768, and they went fine, the DLP system produces very good black, so the black bars on the side were completely black, and not grey as with LCD systems. Further, the colour gradation was superb. The projector allows switching various colour gamuts including sRGB (and a custom setting for your own profile), and selecting that gamut gave beautiful pictures. The on-screen brightness was certainly very bright and would be good for a poorly darkened room.

It also has two 15-pin d-sub VGA inputs as well as HDMI and USB. I used VGA input from my laptop. I will experiment with USB shortly, but we have no computers with HDMI input.