WnSoft Forums

Long sound clips

Merlin

Hi all,

Merry Christmas.

I use PTE different than most, so I need advice at times. Couldn't find any answers in the archives, but that might be based on my search skills.

Anyway, I have a longish show, 60 minutes with about 90 slides.

It's currently divided into 30 sound clips of 10 sec. to about 6 minutes each.

I'm wondering, would it work better to splice all sound clips into one big file, then sync my slides to the one sound file?

Thanks for the advice,

Merlin

Hi, Merlin,

Given the varying lengths of the music files, I would say that yes, it would be better to splice all the music files together and sync the show. Let us know if you need any help in doing the synching or sound editing. There have been lots of posts here in the Forum on this topic. Good luck!

Merlin:

I am biased as I do all my shows that way, but I think it depends on what you do with your show.

90 slides in one 60 minute show does seem "different".

If you do present the images non-stop, then I would think that you would find the "joints" in the music much smoother if you mixed them in an editing software (If you want advice as to which one, ask. I will assume you have one for now) and then do your synch using the timeline.

If you show the 90 slides in segments with physical breaks in the 60 minute show then it might not be so important. But with the Navigation controls now usable in a synched show (yeah for IGOR !! :);) ) you can still synch it as one show and stop and go as you wish.

Not sure that helps without knowing more about your show

Hi Jim,

I'm not specifically showing slides.

It's a training presentation, where all the meaningful content is my voice.

The slides are just to break up the monotony of listening to my voice.

I started with 30 'slides', but I found a few new ones :)

I recorded the talk in multiple segments so that it would be easy to change any one without the others.

BTW, I use Cool Edit.

Merlin

Hi Merlin

you say "I recorded the talk in multiple segments so that it would be easy to change any one without the others."

That to me is the answer if you have it all in segments then it is akward but easier to swap about if you do it a lot. A big file of audio means re-editing and re synch all the time.

Mike

Mersea Island

Merlin:

Now I understand the "different" use. Thanks

Cool Edit is a good package, I assume you know that it is now Adobe Audition and more $$$$$

The multiple segments make sense in terms of what you are doing and I guess not linking them together into one sound track makes it easier to change your narration. But keeping your "mix session" in Cool Edit would let you paste your changes into the original/current track.

Alrobin has a PTE Adjustor that would let you adjust the timing of the images if pasting in a new segment requires a change to the timing of the images. I suspect you could use it to make the time changes without resynching the entire show by hand.

You can find it at: http://www.alrobinson.com/pte_items.htm

Hello All,

Thank you for your replies.

The soundtrack is not changed often.

I likely won't change anything after this is made.

Segments was also easier to record and edit.

So, my interest is in better sync

I was just wondering how P2E works with one long sound file before I put in the effort to splice it all together. I already made it with separate sound files. It works OK.

and I upgraded to Adobe Audition while they were offering the special price.

Both are actually loaded and functional on my PC, but I still use Cool Edit.

Merlin