WnSoft Forums

what am I missing?

terabyte

I could use some help here. My son built a new computer with good quality components which seems to be working. He installed Windows XP. A Pictures2EXE slide show that I made recently and which has worked just fine on all computers thus far will not play on the homemade one. It only displays the first picture in the show, and no music, and then freezes up. My son says perhaps Active X or something else needs to be installed. I am clueless here. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

T.

Welcome terabyte. Friday-Saturday is sometimes rather quiet in the forum. Hopefully someone else will check in and help you more precisely than I.

I would expect that Windows XP would have everything you need, but I do believe old or missing Active X updates have been the cause of some problems in the past. (Maybe the culprit with Windows98 but not in XP?)

If you have not already, you should go to Microsoft website and let it install the suggested XP updates. Also, make sure you get the updates to Windows Media Player.

Does the new computer seem to handle mp3 files and play your jpgs when they are not in the exe show?

Probably by the time you even read this, your son will have it figured out and working. :D

Thank you everybody for your help. LumenLux, your suggestion to test if MP3/WAV files alone would play gave the answer. They weren't recognized. It turned out to be a silly problem -- the sound card that my son installed in the homemade computer seemed to be plug-and-play, and he therefore didn't think to check whether he needed to install a driver for it. And apparently with no sound card driver, Pictures to Exe will freeze up. Actually it was an interesting and educational experience. I gather that since the WAV or MP3 files are embedded into the Exe, it cannot execute without a properly installed sound card even if everything else is OK. Good thing that we did this test run before giving the computer to his grandad for a holiday gift!

Have a great holiday and thanks again!

T.