WnSoft Forums

VideoBuilder - WLAN USB Remote Hub problem

BeTa

When I work with PTE, I have the material (images, video clips, audio) on a USB drive

which is connected to a Medion WLAN USB Remote Hub. This hub is connected to the LAN with a cable,

I do not use the wireless part.

The problem is, when I publish with 'HD Video for PC and MAC', where the videobuilder is involved,

the video-clips in the outputted *.mp4 often stutter. This is not the case when I put the video-clips on

an internal HDD or an external USB HDD that is directly connected to the PC and the images and audio

are still on the network drive.

If I publish with 'AVI file' it does not matter where the video-clips are, it is always OK.

I do not expect a solution to this problem, I just noticed that.

The cause of this issue could also lie in the W-LAN USB Remote Hub I use.

BeTa

The more you chain USB hubs together, the more you are likely to create a performance bottleneck. Eventually it will cause performance problems, such as you have encountered with your "stuttering". Storage devices connected to USB hubs should not be used to hold data that will be used by real-time-critical software.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

I guess I was not clear in my post. The "stuttering" appears only when building an mp4 output

using 'HD Video for PC and Mac'. During the building process I see in the Task Manager

(I have Windows Vista) that videobuilder.exe is active.

When playing the outputted mp4 video, the "stuttering" is only in the video-clip part of the output

and not in the part where pictures are used.

It doesn't matter if I play the outputted mp4 video from network disk or from an internal disk,

what I see is the same.

If I publish with data from the network drive using 'AVI video file', there is no videobuilder.exe

active in the Task Manager and the outputted avi is OK.

So, I think building a show is not a 'real-time-critical' task, because the software for making

the avi has no problem. Playing a show certainly is 'real-time-critical'.

Perhaps the videobuilder is too hasty and must be more patient for the data to arrive :-).

BeTa

BeTa,

During the building process I see in the Task Manager (I have Windows Vista) that videobuilder.exe is active.

This is normal ... publishing/creating a HD Video for PC and Mac (MP4) is a VideoBuilder function and process.

If I publish with data from the network drive using 'AVI video file', there is no videobuilder.exe active in the Task Manager and the outputted avi is OK.

This is normal ... publishing/creating a AVI File is not a VideoBuilder function or process.

The "stuttering" appears only when building an mp4 output using 'HD Video for PC and Mac'.

The actual building of the video or the finish product playback ? The building process seen in the viewer of the MP4 compilation window is not displayed in realtime. What media player program are you using to actually play your HD Video Files (MP4) ... Windows Media Player, or Media Player Classic -Home Cinema, or VLC Player, or what ?

When playing the outputted mp4 video, the "stuttering" is only in the video-clip part of the output and not in the part where pictures are used

I dont quite understand this comment. Can you explain with better details.

nobeefstu,

The "stuttering" appears only when building an mp4 output using 'HD Video for PC and Mac'.

I'm talking about the finish product playback.

I use DivX Plus player, VLC media player, Samsung LED TV. In every of these players I see the same "stuttering".

But the goal is, to use the mp4's in my DVD/BR authoring tool.

When playing the outputted mp4 video, the "stuttering" is only in the video-clip part of the output and not in the part where pictures are used

In PTE I use images, video clips and audio to make a show. The PTE output is an mp4 or avi video. In the mp4 video the images and audio are OK, but the video clips NOT.

BeTa

BeTa,

Added Videos :

When mixing/adding any video file ... its important to supply all internal details/properties of each video file.

* Also, is the video file added in its original out-of-camera framerate or has the added video been custom converted and to what changes/settings? * Also, is the added video file interlaced or non-interlaced ?

* All details of the externally added video file(s) is important to help determine video compatability for HD/MP4 output video.

HD/MP4 Output Video:

What are the output settings used in your HD/MP4 video file ?

But the goal is, to use the mp4's in my DVD/BR authoring tool.

Its quite possible you may not need to create a HD/MP4 video file for the DVD/BR authoring tool. To test, use publish to Create AVI and select output settings according to your needs ... HD-1080 or HD-1280x720p 60fps. Pressing Create AVI button will prompt you open your DVD/BR authoring tool for direct processing by the tool.

*Please note that all third-party tools may not be capable to directly import or process from this PTE feature.

*See image attachment.

post-45-0-44294800-1330519747_thumb.jpg

nobeefstu,

thank you for attention and patience. But the problem does not lie in the videos,

in the first post of this topic I wrote:

This (stuttering videos) is not the case when I put the video-clips on an internal HDD or

an external USB HDD that is directly connected to the PC and the images and audio

are still on the network drive.

So, the videobuilder produces correct MP4 videos when the video clips are NOT on the network drive.

My conclusion is:

The videobuilder has a problem with reading video clips when they are on my network drive.

The problem is located between the videobuilder and my network drive, because the software

of PTE who produces AVI files, has no problems reading from my network drive.

I have 2 options:

1. To produce MP4, don't put the video clips on the network drive.

2. If the video clips are on the network drive, produce AVI files instead of MP4.

And that works.

What interests me is, has anyone worked with show material (images, video clips, audio)

on a network drive when producing a show? If so, was there a problem with making MP4 videos?

BeTa

BeTa,

Ok ... I finally understand your issue.

What interests me is, has anyone worked with show material (images, video clips, audio)

on a network drive when producing a show?

Interesting query to find out about. What is the connection/speed of your network drive ? USB1, USB2, USB3, eSata

There is also drive speed tools which can test the actual speeds.

• 1 month later...

Sorry that my answer took so long, I had other work to do. Hier are the results of my benchmark test.

Test program: Diskbench V2.6.2.0 from www.nodesoft.com

File size approx. 40 MB, read/write in blocks of 4 MB.

The time of 'Read a file' is the value of the first run, because in following runs a cache is involved.

Create file is write a file generated by DiskBench.

Copy file is read a file and write this file to the same drive.

Setting 1.

Test with USB HDD connected to MEDION W-LAN USB hub. The HDD is set in his properties to 'Optimize for quick removal'.

Read a file : 7 MB/s

Create a file : 186 MB/s

Copy a file : 3 MB/s

Setting 2.

Test with USB HDD connected to MEDION W-LAN USB hub. The HDD is set in his properties to 'Optimize for performance'.

Read a file : 3 MB/s

Create a file : 222 MB/s

Copy a file : 398 MB/s

Setting 3.

Test with USB HDD connected via USB hub to PC. The HDD is set in his properties to 'Optimize for quick removal'.

Read a file : 33 MB/s

Create a file : 205 MB/s

Copy a file : 15 MB/s

Setting 4.

Test with USB HDD connected via USB hub to PC. The HDD is set in his properties to 'Optimize for performance'.

Read a file : 23 MB/s

Create a file : 225 MB/s

Copy a file : 465 MB/s

Setting 5.

Test with internal HDD:

Read a file : 1046 MB/s

Create a file : 170 MB/s

Copy a file : 63 MB/s

Setting 1: the VideoBuilder build a mp4 output file with errors in the video clips.

Setting 2: I didn't use that setting with PTE.

Setting 3: ONLY if there is no other USB device attached to the PC, the VideoBuilder will build an mp4 output file with no errors in the video clips.

Setting 4: the VideoBuilder builds an mp4 output file with no errors in the video clips, but I don't want to use the setting 'Optimize for performance' for an USB HDD.

Setting 5, the VideoBuilder builds a mp4 output file with no errors in the video clips, but then I have to build my material disk in the PC.

I still don't understand why the videobuilder is time critical, he can do it on his leisurely, I'm retired, I can wait.

BeTa