WnSoft Forums

"Fog on the Tyne" Widescreen

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

The River Tyne comes off the North Sea into Newcastle (Upon Tyne). There are two sets of pictures in this show, some taken on a camera club trip in June 2008 & the bulk on a return visit in December 2008. I couldn't find the earlier originals so I have had to make do. It's just a bog standard show, with some dodgy animation (still trying), for some reason it's gone over my aim of producing shows up to 50MB. I think this will be the last for a while as I've run out of subject matter. I have done another which was a short show of a PCC visit to look at a Church in Windermere, but didn't think anyone would be interested as it's a bit personal.

Mechanics. 69MB Mediafire download, 83 slides, 9m 22s run time, 16-9 aspect ratio, slides sized at 1920x1080, fixed. Info bar disabled, keyboard enabled. 4 music tracks, voice over, sound effects, compiled with Audacity. One notable feature for those who download, in the first few shots the is a picture of a shop front, pause it at full animation & read the signs :P . Camera D200, lens 18-200 both Nikon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ak2gix79qggzy1

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ken

The Samaritans are a volunteer organisation that you can ring if you are at rock bottom & contemplating suicide. The Tyne bridge is a well known jumper spot, hence the sign.

Davy C, if what you claim is so, why are there no black bands on my LT DT TV & projector???

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,Ken,

Now you should realise I was just yanking some strings after Eric has been going flat out with 16:9 conversions. :)

Still Eric, there is room for an experiment. Try a conversion to 16:10 with this AV.You might like it better than 16:9.

You should,even though you might not admit it.

Forget about the black bands. On a projection screen (the material itself),black bands are a desirable feature as they increase

the perceived brightness of your images. Forget the equispaced border of a 16:9 projector screen for the test.

Even though budget projectors struggle producing decent blacks,you might like the increased headroom with less chopping off your original images.

Davy

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,Ken,

Now you should realise I was just yanking some strings after Eric has been going flat out with 16:9 conversions. :)

Still Eric, there is room for an experiment. Try a conversion to 16:10 with this AV.You might like it better than 16:9.

You should,even though you might not admit it.

Forget about the black bands. On a projection screen (the material itself),black bands are a desirable feature as they increase

the perceived brightness of your images. Forget the equispaced border of a 16:9 projector screen for the test.

Even though budget projectors struggle producing decent blacks,you might like the increased headroom with less chopping off your original images.

Davy

Davy I assume you graduated from the TEKKINTHEPISS college with honours? Unfortunately I took the bait as probably did many others. I usually take it on the chin when I've been taken for a ride. However, when your comments deliberately cause confusion, not only to me but probably others I must react. I just did a test as you suggest and of course 16-10 would only apply to users of 16-10 TV's and PC's. As you are well aware from previous posts, my equipment is 16-9 so your suggestion was a load of *OLLOCKS. A screen shot below illustrates what happens when a 16-9 user sizes a PTE show at 16-10. So for other readers beware, this man speaks with forked tongue as Tonto used to say. B)

Yachtsman1

PS as it's Easter, I've tried to maintain decorum in the picture content.

post-5560-0-07901400-1333707092_thumb.jp

Eric,

I intended no offence or confusion.

If you do feel a little confused I can always have a little chat with Nurse Ratched again.

I thought that you made use of a projector and my suggestion was for that application.

The exact format of your Projector screen is not known to me,but even allowing that it was a fixed 16:9 format,I suggested you try a 16:10 AV onto your screen.

By your own words,you have (had) ‘trouble’ with 16:9. I had in fact told you that this was simply down to conditioning on your part.

Anyone else who commented on your abnormal aversion was simply wrong. 16:9 was the work of the devil. What changed?

But why would there be a difference between a monitor and a projector screen?

Because of the scale, viewing distance,ambient light and the black surround border. You concentrate on what you can see, not what you can’t.

Converting AVs from 4:3 to 16:9 is normally hard to do.Just ask a photographer.

Even if the content is so unimportant that it can be butchered without consequence,

16:10 is more forgiving and there will some extra headroom for cropping original images.

If you are happy cutting off the flowers and worrying about the roots,knock yourself out.

Happy Easter to you and all the inmates at Happy Acres. :)

Davy.

• 9 months later...

The River Tyne comes off the North Sea into Newcastle (Upon Tyne). There are two sets of pictures in this show, some taken on a camera club trip in June 2008 & the bulk on a return visit in December 2008. I couldn't find the earlier originals so I have had to make do. It's just a bog standard show, with some dodgy animation (still trying), for some reason it's gone over my aim of producing shows up to 50MB. I think this will be the last for a while as I've run out of subject matter. I have done another which was a short show of a PCC visit to look at a Church in Windermere, but didn't think anyone would be interested as it's a bit personal.

Mechanics. 69MB Mediafire download, 83 slides, 9m 22s run time, 16-9 aspect ratio, slides sized at 1920x1080, fixed. Info bar disabled, keyboard enabled. 4 music tracks, voice over, sound effects, compiled with Audacity. One notable feature for those who download, in the first few shots the is a picture of a shop front, pause it at full animation & read the signs :P/> . Camera D200, lens 18-200 both Nikon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9ak2gix79qggzy1

Yachtsman1.

Dear Yachtsman 1

Just viewed your Fog on the Tyne presentation, excellent. I am from Newcastle so it is all very familiar. I have just started using PTE and have come accross a few problems so may have some questions for you as I go along. Thanks again, Deepak

Guest Yachtsman1

Dear Yachtsman 1

Just viewed your Fog on the Tyne presentation, excellent. I am from Newcastle so it is all very familiar. I have just started using PTE and have come accross a few problems so may have some questions for you as I go along. Thanks again, Deepak

No Problem Deepak, we are all here to help. There is an AV group in your area, maybe too far? in Middlesborough. Peter Appleton will give you details. Glad you liked the show. It's a coincidence I'm just doing the third in a series of tutorials on Audacity the sound editing software, & I used the voice over from Fog on the Tyne as an example of how to to remove noise on a sound track.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Hi Erik,

Excellent - I watched it also the first time you presented it. Excellent photography and the vertical pans work very well. The voice-over is very well done and the poetry was read with conviction and feeling well projected.

Now that we have video available, why don't you go back and shoot the gulls and the gently rolling waves and substitute the animation with video? I think it would work better. No matter how we "try" to animate birds in flight, it won't seem natural unless we limit the number of them greatly. It is possible to convert special video frames to animated gif but only a very few frames are amenable and it's a "lot" of work. Video is simply so much easier for things like rolling waves and birds in flight that I think it would be worth the effort to re-shoot those frames and substitute.

In all, an excellent presentation with music and synchronization and choice all nicely blending for me.

Thanks for the remake!

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Erik,

Excellent - I watched it also the first time you presented it. Excellent photography and the vertical pans work very well. The voice-over is very well done and the poetry was read with conviction and feeling well projected.

Now that we have video available, why don't you go back and shoot the gulls and the gently rolling waves and substitute the animation with video? I think it would work better. No matter how we "try" to animate birds in flight, it won't seem natural unless we limit the number of them greatly. It is possible to convert special video frames to animated gif but only a very few frames are amenable and it's a "lot" of work. Video is simply so much easier for things like rolling waves and birds in flight that I think it would be worth the effort to re-shoot those frames and substitute.

In all, an excellent presentation with music and synchronization and choice all nicely blending for me.

Thanks for the remake!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

You have me confused, it's a long time since I re-made that one, maybe when I was converting to widescreen last summer? Since I made the original 08/09 we moved 150 miles away from Newcastle upon Tyne, which may not be a long way in US terms but a 2 day round trip for me. Glad you liked the show, someone must be trawling the archives?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :)/>

Hi Erik,

I had forgotten that you moved. Yes, out here in the western U.S.A. 150 miles is only a couple hours drive (we generally drive around 75, 85 mph) and I remember how long it took me to just get from Bristol to Stonehenge - LOL. It was also amazing to me that Sherry and I asked several people how to get to "Stonehenge" and a number of them didn't even know what it was! It seems it is far a more important place to foreigners than to many of the locals. One replied - "oh - is it that pile of rocks?" Finally, we found an old "drunk" coming out of a pub who knew "precisely" where it was, and directed us to it "pub by pub" LOL. Definitely, your traffic and the maze of tiny towns and settlements makes a 150 mile trip much more difficult in some parts of the UK for sure.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

You have me confused, it's a long time since I re-made that one, maybe when I was converting to widescreen last summer? Since I made the original 08/09 we moved 150 miles away from Newcastle upon Tyne, which may not be a long way in US terms but a 2 day round trip for me. Glad you liked the show, someone must be trawling the archives?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. smile.gif/>

Hi Eric

Loved the show, it brought back memories of happy days spent in Northumberland and Newcastle before and after the Eldon Square re-development. Seeing the picture of the arcade with J G Windows music store brought back more memories of buying Lp's there.

Good to see the new buildings and the new footbridge.

Have to agree with Lin about the animations.

Regards

John

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric

Loved the show, it brought back memories of happy days spent in Northumberland and Newcastle before and after the Eldon Square re-development. Seeing the picture of the arcade with J G Windows music store brought back more memories of buying Lp's there.

Good to see the new buildings and the new footbridge.

Have to agree with Lin about the animations.

Regards

John

Hi John

That show was originally done in 2008ish, animations have never been my forte, it's only last year I was determined to improve my technique which IMO has come along in leaps & bounds. There are a couple of other early shows featuring the Northumberland area, they are only holiday snappy types, but if you want to see what the place looked like a couple of years ago take a look at Land of the Prince Bishops & Cross Border Interlude. Thanks for looking.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1