WnSoft Forums

Sound files

shelton

I was using version 4.14 and had a problem start up with synchronizing music to the show. I have been using PTE for a long time so I'm fairly familiar with the basic controls. Recently the music would not synchronize with the show and I had checked the automatic synchronization box and was using MP3 files. I tried switching to wav and still would not work. I even tried midi and it would not recognize the file at all. I downloaded version 4.01 and installed and everything works great; midis,wavs and MP3's. I am running Windows XP home version with 1GB ram and recently downloaded DirectX 9.0b. That is the only thing that I have downloaded recently that may be causing the problem. I even tried the new beta version of PTE with the same results. I checked back the last sixty days in this forum and could not find a solution to the problem. Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated, Shelton

Thanks Robin, I really appreciate the reply. I can't figure it out. I have never had a minutes problem with this program and you can't remove DirectX 9.0b unless you know a lot more than I do about it. I was hoping that someone may know the answer. Hope that you have a Happy New Year and thanks again, Shelton

Al, thanks so much for the thread. I have tried everything except removing it from my computer and starting over. I'm afraid that if I do take it out,I will have to pay again because I can't find my original setup number. I have been using this program since Igor started it which is three computers ago. Thanks again, Shelton

Shelton ,

Starting out with some basic troubleshooting deductions :

Does v4.14 perform correctly with mp3s and other music files if you select un-sync setups other than using sync-setting ?

Just wondering if your issue relates to both sync and unsync setups used. ?

That's the funny part! It will synch MP3 files but will not synch wav and does not recognize midi at all. I went back to the 4.01 and it works great. I thought that it may have something to do with DirectX or WMP 9 but the new version has it's own player according to Igor. Evidently something is not getting installed correctly with the 4.14. If you can think of anything, please advise me. I use Easy Cleaner for my registry and I went back and put everything back; but that did not help either. One other question; when you download and install a new version do you remove old one first or just install over top of the other one?

Shelton,

Im inclined to suspect its not related Direct X at all ... and esp now since you say it does sync with MP3.

What locations are you entering your music files? Several diff locations or just Project Options / Music tab?

* You dont have to uninstall a previous version to install a newer version. Pte will just overwrite whats required ( as long as your files are not set to read only .)

You can have multiple versions ... using separate folders for each. However your last installed version will be set as default to open .pte files.

I'm afraid that if I do take it out,I will have to pay again because I can't find my original setup number. I have been using this program since Igor started it which is three computers ago. Thanks again, Shelton  

Shelton, while you are doing this trouble shooting it might be advisable to drop a note to wnsoft and explain situation re your reg # - i dont know what hoops you are going to have to jump thru to get a new one but you should be looking at that problem as well.

when you get it save it to floppy, cd or other device off the computer

i seem to remember the reg location in your registry was mentioned a while back -- and i think it was nobeefstu that entered the info

ken

B)

One other question; when you download and install a new version do you remove old one first or just install over top of the other one?

Shelton,

You just install over the old one.

To install a new beta, if you want to keep the old one, just create a new folder and copy everything from the working folder over into the new one.

Then save the new zipped downloaded beta into the new folder, replacing whatever is there now, and then unzip everything into the new folder, writing over and replacing all 7 existing files.

Then run "Setup" (in the new folder), follow directions, and presto! You can also create a "shortcut" thumbnail link to the new version on your desktop if you want.

Shelton,

The registry holds your key info at

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PTE]

"Key"= " *************"

(* above indicates your own special key numbering)

Just Export the key to your Documents folder etc (exporting just copies the related key value and does not move or remove anything .... the file is saved as .key ext with whatever name you choose.

Or

I can email you a simple , painless tool that Bill (Thinkbox) so kindly made esp for your circumstance. The Forum mail will not accept attachments ...so you will have to email me with your address.

Heres a brief on Bills Tool :

For anyone who has lost their PTE key file, PTEkey.exe will

recreate it for you so that you can then safely store it.

This utility will NOT generate a key from thin air to make

an unregistered copy of PTE work. You must have a working,

registered version of PTE on your system for a key to exist

in the Windows registry storage location and thus, for this

utility to work.

PTEkey.exe will read your PTE key from the Windows registry

official storage location and write out the exact syntax as

WnSoft mailed the key to you, in a file created with pte.txt

file name. This matches the key file name that WnSoft has

used for key attachments.

Step-by-step instructions:

1. Extract PTEkey.exe to a folder of your choice from PTEkey.zip

2. Run PTEkey.exe

3. Your pte.txt key file will be created in the listed folder - click OK

4. Make a safe copy of pte.txt key file on CD-ROM or other medium

Sorry for my late response! I'm glad that all works now and please let me know in case of any problem with PTE.

Such problem usually requires performing of several simple tests (our test presentation as "Per aspera ad astra" on our Web site) and compare results to exactly localize where the problem occurs.