WnSoft Forums

running Windows on a Mac

I have heard about the 'BOOTCAMP' software that will partition a Mac internal drive so that Windows XP can be installed and run on the Mac.

Has anyone tried to do this and, if so, how succesfull has it been please.

Ronnie West.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the thumbs up, I will have to make a decision about getting a Mac very soon because I am now getting the usual problems with my 5 year old Windows system.

Can you confirm that a Windows partition (via Bootcamp) will run XP Pro and all other programs particularly Pictures To Exe.

If I do go down the Mac route, I would be very grateful to have any advice and assistance that you can offer.

Regards,

Ronnie West.

Can you confirm that a Windows partition (via Bootcamp) will run XP Pro and all other programs particularly Pictures To Exe.

If I do go down the Mac route, I would be very grateful to have any advice and assistance that you can offer.

You can run any version of Windows including XP using VMware or Parallels. This is much better since you can use Mac software at the same time. Its a pain to have to reboot all the time for Bootcamp. There is very little difference in speed.

You can run any version of Windows including XP using VMware or Parallels. This is much better since you can use Mac software at the same time. Its a pain to have to reboot all the time for Bootcamp. There is very little difference in speed.

I go along with crossfade on parallells. I run quite a few windows programmes including PTE without any problems and you can cut and paste between windows and Mac

Chris

Hi Ronnie

I run VMWare Fusion on both an iMac and a MacBook Pro, in both cases I bought Windows 7 Home Premium to run with it. I run PTE on both machines but it depends on how complicated or otherwise your PTE sequences are as to how successful this is. Simple sequences I have no problems with but a large complicated project which I recently finished did cause me some problems. When running Fusion the amount of memory, number of processors and graphics card memory is limited, the default settings are 1GB memory, 1 processor, 128K graphic card memory. You can change these to half the memory of the host machine, half the number of processors of the host machine and 256K graphic card memory if you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7. Changing my settings I did manage to complete my project on the iMac (for more details see Configuring VMWare Fusion 26 Jan 2012), but due to the size and complexity of the sequence it would not play on my MacBook Pro which has only 4GB of memory (i.e. 2GB for Windows). If you want more details please feel free to contact me.

Currently I still have a PC which I normally use for developing PTE projects, I am hoping that before this comes up for replacement there may be a PTE for Mac available but my impression is that is not likely to happen.

Tony Falla :)

I am getting the impression that Parallels seems to be the ether option, or am I wrong?

In view of the comment made about Bootcamp not supporting XP I am in a state of confusion because I am just about to purchase an original instal disc (expensive). If I consider using parallels, will I have to get windows 7 instead?

Ronnie

I am getting the impression that Parallels seems to be the ether option, or am I wrong?

Either one. I prefer VMware but Parallels works ok too.

In view of the comment made about Bootcamp not supporting XP I am in a state of confusion because I am just about to purchase an original instal disc (expensive). If I consider using parallels, will I have to get windows 7 instead?

You can run XP in VMware or Parallels, just not Bootcamp unless you get an older Mac.

Hi Tony Falla,

You seem to be aware of the advantages/disadvenges of running Windows on a Mac, so I wonder if you are on Skype because I would like to get you views in more detail if possible.

How about it?

Ronnie West.