WnSoft Forums

Saving forum comments as a draft.

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Manys the time when making a post or replying to one I need to refer to something on the internet but cannot save what I've already written, especially if I look & copy a link, when I come back to my post what I wrote has gone.

Yachtsman1.

Depending upon your browser's capability and settings, you could always open your new target in a new window or new tab (off the right-click menu). That's how I control the hopping around to gather quotes and links. Alternatively, if I know at the outset it's going to be a complicated post, I'll prepare it as a Word document and then just copy and paste the text into the forum.

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Depending upon your browser's capability and settings, you could always open your new target in a new window or new tab (off the right-click menu). That's how I control the hopping around to gather quotes and links. Alternatively, if I know at the outset it's going to be a complicated post, I'll prepare it as a Word document and then just copy and paste the text into the forum.

Peter

Hi Peter

I've done your second suggestion a number of times, however the right click outside the text box doesn't seem to go anywhere, see ss, I've clicked on the leads but there is nothing there to open a new window.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-76338200-1334152065_thumb.jp

Manys the time when making a post or replying to one I need to refer to something on the internet but cannot save what I've already written, especially if I look & copy a link, when I come back to my post what I wrote has gone.

Yachtsman1.

=======================

Eric,

I need to do the same thing many times. While writing a post, I need to get back into the Internet to get some info. I use Firefox. I just open a second version of Firefox and keep the first one open. Works every time. However, if I think I am going to lose the stuff I have already typed and it is too complicated to remember what I typed, I do a quick copy/paste of the stuff I typed into Word. Not real elegant but it saves retyping it. Many times I have inadvertently lost long postings that I could never retype exactly what I had. I don't know how to actually 'save' it in the Forum but these two techniques work for me.

Gary

Hi Peter

I've done your second suggestion a number of times, however the right click outside the text box doesn't seem to go anywhere, see ss, I've clicked on the leads but there is nothing there to open a new window.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

I meant right-click on the web URL that you want to open (Google or whatever) and open that in a new window or tab of the browser.

Guest Yachtsman1

Gary I've done that many times, but invariably I need to copy a link for the piece I am writing, which loses the copied piece in PTE.

Peter I hear what you say but how do I get the new URL without moving away from PTE, right clicking on my favourites does nothing?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Gary I've done that many times, but invariably I need to copy a link for the piece I am writing, which loses the copied piece in PTE.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

==========================

Eric,

Maybe I am not understanding exactly what your problem is. But I have been able to open a second Browser (Firefox) and copy text or a link into the first Browser (Firefox) that I have already opened with a posting in PTE. Maybe you could create a video of what you are doing and we could see the problem easier.

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Gary

It's like the PTE spell check, using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, all it needs is an adjustment to save your post as a draft, without shilly shallying all over the web as a workaround.

I use a small forum set up by a local camera club, their posting page has a "save as draft" box just as many other international web sites do, I class PTE forum as international, yet we have to search around for solutions to its shortfalls, when it should be more user friendly. Maybe if we got an in house spell check & draft page producer we could get more posts from people who won't use the site for fear of spelling something incorrectly or losing a post they have struggled to compose. See the attached SS. I don't use Firefox I use BT Yahoo UK & have no intention of changing.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-67632700-1334162902_thumb.jp

Gary

It's like the PTE spell check, using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, all it needs is an adjustment to save your post as a draft, without shilly shallying all over the web as a workaround.

I use a small forum set up by a local camera club, their posting page has a "save as draft" box just as many other international web sites do, I class PTE forum as international, yet we have to search around for solutions to its shortfalls, when it should be more user friendly. Maybe if we got an in house spell check & draft page producer we could get more posts from people who won't use the site for fear of spelling something incorrectly or losing a post they have struggled to compose. See the attached SS. I don't use Firefox I use BT Yahoo UK & have no intention of changing.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

=======================

Eric,

I feel your pain. I don't see any way of saving a draft. However, from your attachment, it looks like you are using Internet Explorer (IE). IE is a browser just like Firefox. So you can open a second session of IE to search for content and copy/paste into your first session of IE. Since there does not seem to be a way to save a draft, the only other way I can see is to do a save of the text into Word for later use. :( It seems a pain at first but later it becomes second nature. :)

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

I've now fathomed out how to re-open my home page in another window see the attached screen shot. My task bar is always hidden until I hover the mouse over it, it's the way I work always have & too old too change. So If I right click the e icon & either click open new tab or Yahoo UK at the top of the page & open my browser for a second time I can look for the item to complete my post. I still maintain this is a workaround as is the spell checker & should be brought into the 21st century, come on Igor. <_<

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-90780300-1334179264_thumb.jp