WnSoft Forums

Duracell Batteries

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Just done the shopping at the local supermarket & as we are going on a trip shortly, bought some spare batteries for my Nikon SB700 flash, the standard 4 packs of duracells were around £4 & there is a half priced option called Simply Duracell at £2 for 4, I bought the cheaper ones to see how they perform, anyone tried them?

Yachtsman1

Eric,

Have you ever thought about using rechargeables?

The Panasonics below will hold a charge for long periods, unlike standard rechargeable types, which lose charge in an unused state.

Better suited for flash units.

7 day shop carry one of the few (in the uk) chargers that will carry out a battery refresh, as well as charge.

Easy on the pocket too.

http://tinyurl.com/cddny3p Panasonic Evolta

http://tinyurl.com/449lv27 intelligent charger

Davy

Guest Yachtsman1

Ken & Davy

For the amount of use I give the flash, re-chargables are not cost effective, I still have normal Duracells bought for our trip to Anglesey 2 years ago. I also use them in my Olympus recorder (which eats them) & the flash is new so we'll see.

Regds Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

If your Olympus recorder is tough on batteries, then rechargeable batteries are much less expensive. I use a 15 minute rechargeable which works very well for some of my Sigma cameras which take eight AA batteries. It would cost me hundreds of pounds a year if I used anything else. Good rechargeable batteries will take as many as 1,000 recharges and they really don't cost that much more than standard batteries. You can even recharge them from the 12 volt accessory plug in your vehicle while you are on the road.....

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Lin

It's amazing how one off topic answer can deviate a topic so much from the question asked. All I wanted to know was had anyone used the "Simply Duracell".

As far as re-chargables I started using Deacs back in 1965 when I began flying radio controlled models, & only stopped using them when I hung up my RC gear in 2007, when I was flying Lipo powered models, so you can say I know what re-chargables are capable of. With regard to my comments on the Olympus recorder, it is usually plugged into my PC when I record voice overs so is powered from the USB socket. It is only when it is used as a stand alone recorder it uses the internal battery (2 AA). The amount of stand-alone recording I do nowadays is minimal, maybe once or twice a year, hence the "not cost effective" comments. Incidentally to deviate off topic slightly, I've noticed that the instructions for charging my current Nikon & previous Canon camera batteries suggests the battery is charged the night before you intend using it, whereas before, I recharged when the battery was discharged to prevent the battery going below its safe limit.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ken

The charts I read with interest, but there is nothing to beat a comparative personal use review which is what I was asking

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

how can you expect a valid test

if i was shooting bursts - no flash - but 5 consecutive shots - they strain on the batteries would be totally different than flash operation - the output of a flash is different - variable as to its setting - distance to subject etc

- ambient temp will severely affect battery performance

there are too many variables to get a valid test

ken