WnSoft Forums

PTE's Video Conversion Process

goddi

Greetings,

I have been trying out different video converters, including PTE's Converter. Before I delve into the other programs I have tried, I'd like to understand a bit more about PTE's Video Converter. First, my primary purpose when I convert a video file is to reduce the size of the original MOV and keep reasonable quality. Below are the test results of converting a file using PTE.

My assumption is that the file size is based primarily on the chosen bitrate. If this is not true, then my questions are probably moot. However, here are my tests and my questions:

My original MOV = 14,622kbps TBR; 25,346 Kb file size.

Here are my conversion test results:

-PTE Converted at 50% Quality = 16,060kbps TBR; 27,351 Kb file size.

-PTE Converted at 25% Quality = 10,792kbps TBR; 18,376 Kb file size.

-PTE Converted at 10% Quality = 7,375kbps TBR; 13,005 Kb file size.

(TBR=Total Bitrate)

I expected that PTE's '50%' selection would have reduced the file size and the bitrate by about 50%. It actually increased the bitrate to 16,060kbps and the file size to 27,351 Kb.

In order to reduce the bitrate and the file size by about 50%, I had to choose the '10% Quality'. When I put both videos in PTE and reviewed them on my 27" monitor, I could not see any real difference in quality. I have converted videos to have a bitrate of 4000-5000kbps with great quality.

So my questions are:

1-What does the '50% Quality' mean? Does it have anything to do with bitrate?

2-Why does it not allow for the selection of a bitrate instead of this nebulous 'Quality' selection?

3-Why does it not allow for a change in FPS?

4-What is the best FPS choice?

Thanks… Gary

... First, my primary purpose when I convert a video file is to reduce the size of the original MOV and keep reasonable quality ...

From the PTE user guide: Our video converter converts video files to the optimal format for the most qualified and smooth playback of video clips in the slideshow. So, the converter does not aim at shorter file sizes, but at good playback within a PTE show. As a consequence, the converted video may even be larger than the original. During the conversion the encoding method may be changed (e.g. from H.264/AVC to MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile). The reason may be that an MPEG-4 video (though being larger) is easier to be decoded within PTE.

Regards,

Xaver

Gary,

My assumption is that the file size is based primarily on the chosen bitrate.

Bitrate may be one element that affects the overall file size. I would not confuse the terms bitrate with compression nor would I confuse conversion with compression. There are many other elements that also play a roll. The Video Codec that is used has its own compression scheme and bitrate limits. The File Container itself (without the encoded video inside) has it own file overhead and properties that can affect file size.

To keep it simple ... theres alot going on here.