WnSoft Forums

Out of Synch

bjc

Is it just me, PTE, Nikon video files, or my computer system that is at fault ?

When using my Nikon DSLR video clips within PTE, the video's audio track is heard between 14 and 18 frames out-of-synch with the video (sound happens 14 to 18 frames before the visuals).

This differential is maintained even after cropping.

Video files pre-edited (cropped and/or) and then resaved using 3rd party software (Photoshop CS5 / Premier Elements 4) do not exhibit this same error when used in PTE.

I'm puzzled as to where the issue lies ~ could it be some form of incompatibility, within PTE, to 'generated-in-camera' Nikon video files ? ~ or a performance issue with my computer ?

Feedback from those experiencing the same / or from those with knowledgeable suggestions as to the cause or cure, much appreciated.

bjc

Guest Yachtsman1

I have only used my Nikon cameras a couple of time for video, & the D5000 was the only one with the need for voice sync, there were no problems when it was inserted in a PTE trial show. My D90 videos didn't contain any sounds to check sync. Have you allowed PTE to adjust the file, & have you tried it without the PTE adjustment?

Yachtsman1.

Hi Yachtsman1,

Thanks for the feedback.

Have you allowed PTE to adjust the file, & have you tried it without the PTE adjustment?

Full original file (Nikon AVI) = audio out of synch

Full original file 'converted' by PTE = audio out of synch

Cropping either of above does not correct the issue (not suprising)

Same file converted using 3rd party software to .mov / .mp4 / etc. ~ cropped or uncropped ~ plays perfectly in PTE ~ and still plays perfectly even if re-converted by PTE.

Very strange !? It must surely be a Nikon (D3s) avi file format mismatch (?) .

Hi Xaver,

As mentioned just above ~ the files are native Nikon D3s avi files (not sure at this stage which codec is being used by Nikon).

bjc

...the files are native Nikon D3s avi files (not sure at this stage which codec is being used by Nikon)...

In PTE, select one of your video clips (File List, Slide List or as object in O&A) and do Ctrl+I to get File Info. This will show you what codec is being used. My D300s shoots MJPEG AVI which PTE converts to

MPEG4 AVI.

Peter

Hi BJC,

Most DSLR-Cameras using "(Avi)Motion-JPeg" suffer from Video-latency when viewing the 'Video-Clip'

directly after downloading it. Other download Formats have similar problems. The 'latency' problem

is usually sorted out in good Media-players like VLC(Video-Lan)Player and Windows-Media Player(10+).

The problem can be understood when one does the Maths ~ It takes (approx) 50.Millesecs to process each

Video-Frame so by the time it processes 10.frames, 500.Millesecs have elapsed but the Audio has already

preceeded the Video by that time factor. Its called "Video-Latency" and its quite a normal phenomenon.

Television & Radio Studios also have these problems but to a lesser degree as the O/B & Studio Cameras

run at 50/60 fps but still they have to use Latency-Filters to Sync the Audio/Video streams (Software-Systems)

They also use many Hardware-Devices such as the "Behringer-Delay Modules" fitted to Microphones prior to the

Audio/Video Mixers. (Average correction is approx minus: <150.Millesec)...(Behringer on the Web)

In small-scale operations such as your Nikon/Canon Cameras etc; this problem can usually be fixed with

the Camera-Software ~alternatively~ good Video-Converters capable of converting 'Motion-Jpeg' to some form

of AVI/Mp4 will usually do the job. (PTE-conversions do a similar job).

Hope this helps,

Brian.(Conflow)

Thank you Brian ~ I wasn't aware of this know issue, and you have explained it well ~ it,s easily overcome by pre-converting, as you have suggested ~ thank you again for your clear explanation.

Yachtsman1 / Peter / Xaver ~ thank you for your input.

bjc