WnSoft Forums

SIMPLY VENICE

Hi Maureen,

I held back comments on your first show of the backwaters of Venice as I could not quite make up my mind what to say. The photography was first class especially how you dealt with the very contrasty light and the music didn't quite make it but there was still something missing. You found it in this show. Venice is very touristy but there is a reason. The sights are just totally spectacular and you have captured them better than anyone else that I can think of. It was a lesson in photography for all of us to try to emulate. Thank you.

Hi Maureen,

I held back comments on your first show of the backwaters of Venice as I could not quite make up my mind what to say. The photography was first class especially how you dealt with the very contrasty light and the music didn't quite make it but there was still something missing. You found it in this show. Venice is very touristy but there is a reason. The sights are just totally spectacular and you have captured them better than anyone else that I can think of. It was a lesson in photography for all of us to try to emulate. Thank you.

Thanks, Mick. I hope you weren't one of the first to download 'Simply Venice' this evening as I sent the wrong show to Bill. However, he very quickly removed it for me and put the amended version on, crazy woman that I am.

Anyway, I'm pleased this different show of Venice is more to your taste.

Maureen

Hi Maureen

Your first slideshow about Venice is a very very good one.

Hard to do better... but you did it with this one!!!

Stunning shots, warm colors, sharp photos, superb subjects.

You married architectural photos (wide angle and zoomed one) with person photos ... excellent.

In a few occasion, I suppose you had to wait long before the right situation was in front of you ;-) ... duccale boat in front of St Marc place, photographer and Venice T-shirts for example.

It is an absolute keeper.

I have just a remark to do (a very minor one!) about your choice for the pans about boats.

You choosed to pan from front to rear in 3 occasions : Grand Canale and taxi boat + gondola + vaporetto

I understand that you want to show the boats moving ahead but as the background doesn't move I find it personnaly a bit confusing and the opposite sense (pan from rear to front) would be far better and natural.

Many many thanks for sharing

Patrick

I did like that, you have captured not only the scenery, but the mood of Venice perfectly there.

The lighting was perfect, and I like the way you ended with that final image looking across toward Marco square in that wonderful golden sunlight; end of the day....

The sharpness and clarity of the images are a lesson to us all; not to go around snapping at everything in sight and hoping a few good uns will turn out. It's about taking your time and shooting each image as if it is very special, which of course it should be, it will provide you with a lifelong memory mnemonic

Thanks for sharing it with us.

An enchanting,vibrant and beautiful presentation as usual Maureen.I went about three years ago to see the Venice Carnival and would love to return and spend longer than two days next time. Thanks again for a great presentation.

Paul

Rick, Morturn and Eric.

Thank you so much for your comments. They are appreciated.

Patrick - thank you, too, for your generous comments and suggestion about panning which I will try.

Paul - Thank you for commenting. Venice is such an interesting place, as you will know, that you would need at least 4 days and then not see everything. I have to say, though, that we were exceptionally lucky with the light and weather.

Maureen

... I have to say, though, that we were exceptionally lucky with the light and weather.

I went to Venice four time (for 3 to 5 days each time) in a short laps of years and had bright sun, blue skies but also heavy and sustained rain, strong winds, fog, and one time, high acqua alta.

This town is magical whatever the weather conditions and what makes your slideshows so special, is not the sun but the fact that each shot is unique.

I am sure that, if you go there during foggy days, you will bring us shots that we all dream of!

Best regards

Patrick

Here a few photos I took of the Grand Canale during a foggy day

I went to Venice four time (for 3 to 5 days each time) in a short laps of years and had bright sun, blue skies but also heavy and sustained rain, strong winds, fog, and one time, high acqua alta.

This town is magical whatever the weather conditions and what makes your slideshows so special, is not the sun but the fact that each shot is unique.

I am sure that, if you go there during foggy days, you will bring us shots that we all dream of!

Best regards

Patrick

Here a few photos I took of the Grand Canale during a foggy day

Patrick - thank you for sending me those. However, I am having problems downloading from Mediafire at the moment which I hope to sort out soon. I was looking at your a/v of Amsterdam only yesterday, part of which was photographed in foggy conditions, which produced very atmospheric photographs.

I will try and download your Venice pictures in the next few days, hopefully, so thanks again.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Hi Maureen,

Having visited Venice many many times I enjoyed your 'Backwaters of Venice' very much.

I very much appreciate your photography within both sequences and for those who look at your sequences from a photographers eye will no doubt feel the same.

I personally appreciate 'Backwaters' more, from a tourists point of view as I have seen so many photo's of the main tourist areas and will never care if I do not see photo's from san marco, doges palace, grand canal etc etc ever again. Thats not to say I do not think your photography superb and unlike Mickp I thought your choice of music worked well especially having experienced venice on so many occasions and having felt the 'atmosphere' of some of those streets and canals you captured so well.

My point is that anyone thinking of visiting venice for the first time can now 'see' through your sequence that Venice consists of so much more than St marks square etc.

I will show your sequence to people that have no interest whatsoever in pte or photography but I know they will appreciate the non touristy photos of Venice.

But in a word for what its worth 'excellent'. :)

Ralph

Hi Maureen,

Having visited Venice many many times I enjoyed your 'Backwaters of Venice' very much.

I very much appreciate your photography within both sequences and for those who look at your sequences from a photographers eye will no doubt feel the same.

I personally appreciate 'Backwaters' more, from a tourists point of view as I have seen so many photo's of the main tourist areas and will never care if I do not see photo's from san marco, doges palace, grand canal etc etc ever again. Thats not to say I do not think your photography superb and unlike Mickp I thought your choice of music worked well especially having experienced venice on so many occasions and having felt the 'atmosphere' of some of those streets and canals you captured so well.

My point is that anyone thinking of visiting venice for the first time can now 'see' through your sequence that Venice consists of so much more than St marks square etc.

I will show your sequence to people that have no interest whatsoever in pte or photography but I know they will appreciate the non touristy photos of Venice.

Ralph

Thank you Ralph, and I can understand your remarks about San Marco, Doges Palace, etc, and that is precisely why I wanted to create an a/v on the 'backwaters' of Venice, to show a different, quieter Venice. Indeed, it is the one that I had in mind before I went there this time. I also wanted to create a show of 'touristy' Venice without it containing people wearing masks as I am sure you will have seen lots of those, too. I don't know which of the two shows I prefer as they are both very different so to each his own, as they say.

However, thanks again for your comments, oh, and bye the way, what's a Yorkshireman doing supporting Man U? (Only joking!)

Maureen (A Yorkshirewoman)

Hi Maureen,

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

You are so lucky to have visited Venice so often that the hugely historical importance of places like St Marks Sq, the Doges Palace and Grand Canal not to mention the art galleries and museums can be so easily dismissed. Maureen's efforts to show another side of Venice works well, mainly due to her excellent photography but it did not inspire me to go searching the backwaters if I ever manage to get there again and to be frank, neither did the music. However "Simply Venice" will be prominent on my laptop to give me inspiration.

Hi Ralph,

You are so lucky to have visited Venice so often that the hugely historical importance of places like St Marks Sq, the Doges Palace and Grand Canal not to mention the art galleries and museums can be so easily dismissed. Maureen's efforts to show another side of Venice works well, mainly due to her excellent photography but it did not inspire me to go searching the backwaters if I ever manage to get there again and to be frank, neither did the music. However "Simply Venice" will be prominent on my laptop to give me inspiration.

Mick, I never questioned the historical importance and having studied the history of venice for many years the history of such a place is very important to me for personal reasons.

My point is that there is more to Venice than those which were shown in Maureens sequence and rightly, as you say 'museums and art galleries.

But I could list so many more. I never questioned the photography which (and I repeat) 'was superb' You were not inspired,(backwaters) I was, thats life.

Thank you Ralph, and I can understand your remarks about San Marco, Doges Palace, etc, and that is precisely why I wanted to create an a/v on the 'backwaters' of Venice, to show a different, quieter Venice. Indeed, it is the one that I had in mind before I went there this time. I also wanted to create a show of 'touristy' Venice without it containing people wearing masks as I am sure you will have seen lots of those, too. I don't know which of the two shows I prefer as they are both very different so to each his own, as they say.

However, thanks again for your comments, oh, and bye the way, what's a Yorkshireman doing supporting Man U? (Only joking!)

Maureen (A Yorkshirewoman)

Hi Maureen,

thank you for the private message :) we will have to have a private message about football

To repeat Maureen, you are fully aware of what I think about your photography (Excellent as ever)

ralph