WnSoft Forums

Mixing slides into video

Hi everyone,

I have made a low res video using my Nikon D7000, at 640 by 424 pixels and with 25 fps. I would like to edit it a bit (crop both the ends off) and to show a few still slides on the screen while the video soundtrack is playing. I guess this is straightforward but I don't know how to go about it. For example, as soon as I do anything involving video conversion or cropping within PTE the soundtrack becomes displaced from the video. Maybe this is another sign that I need a better graphics card..?

A simple tutorial about mixing video and stills would be appreciated. Can someone point me to one?

sg

Hi SG

There has been quite a bit of chat about this subject recently, try "Video" in PTE's search box.

Yachtsman1.

Thanks Yachtsman1. I see there is indeed a lot of material on this subject! I was under the naive assumption that PTE7 would be as easy to use with video and slides as previous versions were with just slides. The whole subject seems to be much more complicated than I realised. I'll trawl through the posts and try to get some answers.

I also realise that I made a mistake with this post - by asking several questions instead of one!

Can you tell me if the "out of sync" vision and sound that I get after converting my clip in PTE7 is a symptom of an inadequate video card?

sg

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks Yachtsman1. I see there is indeed a lot of material on this subject! I was under the naive assumption that PTE7 would be as easy to use with video and slides as previous versions were with just slides. The whole subject seems to be much more complicated than I realised. I'll trawl through the posts and try to get some answers.

I also realise that I made a mistake with this post - by asking several questions instead of one!

Can you tell me if the "out of sync" vision and sound that I get after converting my clip in PTE7 is a symptom of an inadequate video card?

sg

This subject has again been discussed recently, try another search, you cant search for items belelow 4 letters, so try synchro :unsure:

Yachtsman1.

Thanks DG,

I do have this software, and had forgotten that it does some basic editing of video. It will certainly be useful for the cropping.

I'll give it a go.

sg

I have just tried it and found it a simple way to crop the unwanted ends from the clip - thanks DG,

sg

Success!

As I could not easily find a tutorial about inserting stills into video I had to do it the hard way by experimenting. I managed it this way:

Trim the ends of the video clip (in .MOV format) from my D7000 using the Nikon View NX2 software supplied with the camera.

Put this video into the project, just like adding a slide. Go to the animation tab, and select the 6 still images. Then make 5 keyframes for each image. They all have one at the start of the clip with Opacity = 0. At the point where you want to show a still image make another keyframe also with Opacity = 0. Just after make one with Opacity = 100. This fades the still image in, on top of the video. The remaining two keyframes set the end point of 100% Opacity, then fade down to 0%. So each still can be faded in and out when you want, and can be synchronised with the sound track from the video (which had to be preserved).

I'm chuffed, but I guess this is all just plain sailing to most of you!

You can see the finished result on YouTube:

sg

One thing I find so amazing with the new versions of PTE is the ability to treat an inserted video in "Objects and Animation" as if it were just another slide, and add pan, zoom, etc to the entire video. Nice work, Igor!

Hey Al,

Welcome back!!! We've missed you here.

I agree - it's an amazing accomplishment and the possibilities are limitless with PTE today. We will always nit pick and complain about little things which could be tweaked to suit our individual preferences and work flow, but Igor and the development team have produced an amazing product which is unlike anything else I'm aware of on the international market. It lets the user to be as creative as their individual talents allow and provides a way for us all to grow and refine our AV productions.

Best regards,

Lin

One thing I find so amazing with the new versions of PTE is the ability to treat an inserted video in "Objects and Animation" as if it were just another slide, and add pan, zoom, etc to the entire video. Nice work, Igor!

Hi sg,

The results are rather "excellent" aren't they? I loved the production and the play on words "brush with" - LOL. Nice sattire!

Best regards,

Lin

Success!

As I could not easily find a tutorial about inserting stills into video I had to do it the hard way by experimenting. I managed it this way:

Trim the ends of the video clip (in .MOV format) from my D7000 using the Nikon View NX2 software supplied with the camera.

Put this video into the project, just like adding a slide. Go to the animation tab, and select the 6 still images. Then make 5 keyframes for each image. They all have one at the start of the clip with Opacity = 0. At the point where you want to show a still image make another keyframe also with Opacity = 0. Just after make one with Opacity = 100. This fades the still image in, on top of the video. The remaining two keyframes set the end point of 100% Opacity, then fade down to 0%. So each still can be faded in and out when you want, and can be synchronised with the sound track from the video (which had to be preserved).

I'm chuffed, but I guess this is all just plain sailing to most of you!

You can see the finished result on YouTube:

sg

Hey Al,

Welcome back!!! We've missed you here.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks, Lin! It's amazing how one can find so many interesting things to do when one is retired! I may be back more often for help and advice now that I have a digital camera with HD video capabilities (the new Nikon 1 - couldn't afford the D4). Never thought I would ever get into making movies! But what attracted me most to this camera (and others like it) was the ability to take a still photo at the same time as one is recording a movie, and the ability to put both together seamlessly in PTE. So now it is readily possible to have a relatively innocuous slide show end up with some really dramatic and surprising "movie" effects! The possibilities are endless!

Hi Al,

I think that's a great choice in a versatile little camera. I have a 1V myself which I use with the 10-30, 30-110 and with the FT1 adapter with the 55-300. It's quite a wonderful little camera. My big DSLR's hardly get any attention any more. My D7000 is getting jealous!. I especially love the 400 fps video mode for getting slow motion video. I just wish Nikon had chosen a 640x480 mode for it like Casio did. Interesting side note: I almost bought a Casio EX-F1 (six megapixel) when they came out. I now wish I had bought 10 of them! The original price was $995 and if you can find a used one today for $2500 it's a bargain. On Amazon, the prices run from about $2500 to as much a $4200.. They have become a "cult" item. LOL.

The ability to snap a still and use it with the video for dramatic effect is really a great feature in the Nikon 1J and 1V. The video thing actually grows on one, doesn't it? I"m finding that there are lots of uses for video which can add to the total AV experience. It definitely adds a dimension which is missing in totally still images.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work with the new Nikon!

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks, Lin! It's amazing how one can find so many interesting things to do when one is retired! .....

Hi sg,

The results are rather "excellent" aren't they? I loved the production and the play on words "brush with" - LOL. Nice sattire!

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for your kind words Lin. I had fun making it, and the irritation I felt at this bad product has been replaced by much more positive feelings.

I also like this forum - so friendly and helpful.

I have used PTE for years for making presentations with still images, but have only recently woken up to the huge opportunities to be creative once you start to use the advanced animation functions and start to mix video and still images. It seems the limit is not so much the technology but more our imagination!

SG