WnSoft Forums

Enabling Control-W

coecolin

Hi Colin,

Just noticed your post.......

Can I ask if your images open up in Photoshop automatically when clicked on from the desktop? (ie, nothing to do with PtE)

If not then this is the reason you cannot access Photoshop.

One must set the file association of Jpegs to be recognised by Photoshop.

Very easily addressed....

Rt click on any image and select 'Open with'

On the drop down menu box select 'Default program'

select in the new window 'Photoshop' and tick the small check box ''Always use this program to open this type of file''

Now all your images when open will do so in Photoshop.

I apologise if you know and have done this but it may be the reason.

I hope this helps.......maybe.

Anthony

Anthony,

If I have read your post correctly then I don't think that what you say is necessary.

I have my desktop etc images set to open in NX2 but I can still set PTE's Ctrl + W to open an image in Pixbuilder or CSx or whatever.

DG

Dave,

You're right and Anthony is, indeed, wrong. I've just changed my PTE Graphics Editor from Photoshop Elements to IrfanView and back again without having to change any file associations.

regards,

Peter

Colin DG and Peter,

First of all I am glad that it is working as you want it to Colin.

However I am a little mystified by my findings. I wasn't suggesting that we had to change any file associations only to have the program of our choice ie Photoshop to recogonise the file.

I cannot do what DG can obviously do if I understand his post correctly. That is to have images from my desktop opening automatically in one program and have the Ctrl W funtion in PtE opening the image in another different program. This is even when selecting in the editor box ''use the following program'' option (and not the ''use default program'' option.) I have tried to replicate these actions to no avail. What I am finding is that this option of 'use the following program' if different from the default program doesn't work on my computer.

Something is out of kilter somewhere on my system............Who knows?

Just a thought while I'm perusing this post before sending it...Would I have to reboot the computer to effect any changes made?

I'm not wishing to make a meal out of this but as I only want images from my desktop and PtE to open in Photoshop and that is what happens on my computer and has always been the case I am more than happy.

Anthony

Anthony,

I cannot do what DG can obviously do if I understand his post correctly. That is to have images from my desktop opening automatically in one program and have the Ctrl W funtion in PtE opening the image in another different program.

Not only Dave, but me too! If I double-click an image file from inside Windows Explorer, it opens in Photoshop Elements. If I select an image within a PTE project file and CTRL+W, it also opens in Elements. However, if I change the Graphical Editor in PTE to, say, IrfanView, then Ctrl+W now opens images in IrfanView but double-click in Windows Explorer still opens them in Photoshop.

...Would I have to reboot the computer to effect any changes made?

I didn't have to. I didn't even have to close the PTE window. I launched a PTE project, selected a slide and Ctrl+W to open that image into Elements. I then changed the Graphical Editor to IrfanView, selected a different slide and Ctrl+W and that slide opened in IrfanView. I then changed the Graphical Editor back to Elements, selected yet another slide (still using just the one instance of PTE), Ctrl+W and the third slide opened into Elements. No re-boots. All this on PTE v7.0.6 under Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

regards,

Peter

Hello Dave and Peter,

Dave...my system is Windows7 Home premium 64 bit...same as Peter's. Also PtE v 7.0

I have just retried the graphical editor and I have no change from my previous findings....ie that PtE will only open an image from PtE slide line with Ctrl W into my default program...(provided I have ticked the 'Default' button.)Selecting another program like 'Paint' with Crtl W has no effect.????? I haven't any other image programs such as elements installed.

So I seem to be on my own on this one. As I said in the last post this isn't a problem for me as I use PS CS2 for everything.

But what have I not ticked or set up to have this anomaly on my computer? It would be interesting to know so any further comments are gratefully received.

Anyway thanks chaps for your replies and interest.

Anthony

Just as a rider to the above post.

I have tried the same routine on my laptop Windows XP SP3, PtE V7.0

Exactly the same limitations as I have on the desktop....All very strange it would seem compared to you guys and possibly everyone else...Heyho not to worry.

Anthony