WnSoft Forums

Vimeo Output Greatly Degraded

isabel95

As I recall we used to be able to upload directly to Vimeo, but that's been changed and as far as I can figure the only thing we can do is make a high quality mp4 file and upload that - but that file is too compressed by Vimeo to produced acceptable image quality.

Seems the only option is to upload to Youtube because Facebook's compression is terrible too.

Any suggestions for better public viewing on the internet?

Isabel

Hi Isabel,

If you have a webpage of your own, or would consider purchasing the storage space from a host company, you can easily put videos on your own link. I have always done this myself. I use Xara Web Developer 7 myself to load my MP4's from PTE. You can have them in any "quality" you like which is supported by the video standard you choose such as AVI, Flash, MP4 h.264, etc. Xara accepts the MP4 h.264 output of PTE perfectly.

You don't have to actually build a website, just create a folder to hold your video and software such as Xara creates the necessary player and code. You simply provide your viewers a link such as you would for Youtube, etc. Of course you do not get as many random "looks" as with a huge site such as Youtube, but you will have complete creative control.

Vimeo changed their API and instantly made the code used by Wnsoft, Photodex and other companies who had automated uploading capabilities obsolete. When they were approached by Wnsoft to obtain the new parameters, they refused to release the information and essentially said that they were not interested in supporting slideshows with still images, etc. They gave one of the dumbest (in my opinion) reasons I've ever heard. They said that they believed it was "too easy" for people to upload images which they had no copyrights for. As if it's not "just as easy" to upload video one has no copyrights for. This attitude made me pull any support I had for Vimeo and delete my slideshows from their servers.

Best regards,

Lin

Good idea!

I had forgotten I do have my own web space.

I pay Yahoo about $35 every 3 months for a small business website.

thanks for the reminder.

Isabel

• 2 weeks later...

I only looked at Christmas in Finland and it was spectacularly beautiful. I didn't see any loss of quality. The clarity and color were excellent. Loved the music too. Stunningly beautiful production.

Isabel

Thank you Isabel.

I looked at Vimeo and found your projects there, mostly video, but also at least one slideshow you made with PTE (Kaleidoscope).

The only thing that came up to my mind was, that you might not take a benefit of your PLUS membership on Vimeo and upload your MP4 video at fullHD resolution (1920x1080), and even if you did, you might not have choosen the 1080p button?

Things I think influence the quality on Vimeo:

- editing the pictures "good enough" with e.g. Photoshop before making the slideshow

- to use 1080p high pictures (with any picture ratio) in a 1920x1080p size PTE-slideshow

- to make the final sharpening with the 1080p high picture

(e.g. PS: Smart sharpen, Radius 0.4px, Amount 80-100%, or if the pictures are noisy: e.g. Radius 0.8-1px, Amount 30-40%)

My "secret" is (when using 18MP pictures taken with Canon 7D):

- I first resize the picture to approx. 2160p height

- then I do color correction and adjust the levels

- then I mostly run noise reduction with Neat Image plugin (if the noise reduction is made to a 18MP full size camera picture, then the actual noise might not be filtered)

- then a new resize to 1080p height

- finally I make the sharpening

(there might be flickering when zooming in the pictures in PTE, so another way is to use larger pictures and make the final sharpening with Sharpness control in PTE)

- making a MP4 file with PTE following the compression guidelines explained on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/help/compression

- choose the 1080p button when the video has been uploaded (otherwise a 1080p video will be showed at 720p resolution).

(you have to be a PLUS member on Vimeo to been able to show the video at fullHD resolution)

Ps. I believe that the quality on a streamed video always loose quality. What I also noticed is, that a rendered video on Vimeo has more contrast than an original work.

Jan

thank you, Jan.

I will bear your suggestions in mind the next time I try to upload to Vimeo.

I think I recall that I may not have chosen the 1080p.

Isabel

Thank you Isabel.

I looked at Vimeo and found your projects there, mostly video, but also at least one slideshow you made with PTE (Kaleidoscope).

The only thing that came up to my mind was, that you might not take a benefit of your PLUS membership on Vimeo and upload your MP4 video at fullHD resolution (1920x2080), and even if you did, you might not have choosen the 1080p button?

Things I think influence the quality on Vimeo:

- editing the pictures "good enough" with e.g. Photoshop before making the slideshow

- to use 1080p high pictures (with any picture ratio) in a 1920x1080p size PTE-slideshow

- to make the final sharpening with the 1080p high picture

(e.g. PS: Smart sharpen, Radius 0.4px, Amount 80-100%, or if the pictures are noisy: e.g. Radius 0.8-1px, Amount 30-40%)

My "secret" is (when using 18MP pictures taken with Canon 7D):

- I first resize the picture to approx. 2160p height

- then I do color correction and adjust the levels

- then I mostly run noise reduction with Neat Image plugin (if the noise reduction is made to a 18MP full size camera picture, then the actual noise might not be filtered)

- then a new resize to 1080p height

- finally I make the sharpening

(there might be flickering when zooming in the pictures in PTE, so another way is to use larger pictures and make the final sharpening with Sharpness control in PTE)

- making a MP4 file with PTE following the compression guidelines explained on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/help/compression

- choose the 1080p button when the video has been uploaded (otherwise a 1080p video will be showed at 720p resolution).

(you have to be a PLUS member on Vimeo to been able to show the video at fullHD resolution)

Jan