WnSoft Forums

Report on my first slideshow

steven62

Hi,

I wanted to let you folks know that according to those who have watched it that the show was very well received by my wifes family some who make their own shows using another brand of software. I which I could publish it here but this was main for family and I could not get everybodys OK before writing this.

There were 108 slides including text slides, 3 mp3 songs, and transitions to boot.

Total size was 225 MB

Aspect ratio was set to 16:9, screen and slide was set to fullscreen, virtual size of slide was set to 1920 x 1080 in project options.

I cropped all my jpg files to 1920 x 1080.

I made both an exe file as well as a DVD as a few folks wanted to play it on their computer.

Possible problems: My wifes aunt who is 80 opted to play it on her portable DVD player and is showing it to others because she could not figure out how to get it onto her TV. I am going over next week to help her. I have no idea what it must have looked like on her player, especially if the images were cut off.

Should I have made a different exe file and recropped my images?

I don't know if I have a mental block on the relationship between image size and aspect ratio or what. I read all I could find out here and I am still not as comfortable as I feel I should be. Time will tell.

Thank You,

Steven

I don't know if I have a mental block on the relationship between image size and aspect ratio or what. I read all I could find out here and I am still not as comfortable as I feel I should be.

Hi Steven,

Let's see if I can make you more comfortable!

Aspect ratio

This is simply the length of the long size compared to the length of the short side expressed as a ratio. It is totally independent of the units of measurement. A field that is 200 metres by 100 metres has an aspect ratio of 2:1. A postage stamp that is 2cm by 1cm has an aspect ratio of 2:1. A football pitch that has a length of 100 yards and a width of 50 yards has an aspect ratio of 2:1.

Image size

This is most commonly, and perhaps most usefully, expressed by the number of pixels along each side. Thus HD television has an image size of 1920 pixels by 1080 pixels. This also happens to be an aspect ratio of 16:9. My camera (a Nikon D300s) produces images with a size of 4288 pixels by 2848 pixels. This is almost, but not quite, 3:2 aspect ratio. A real 3:2 image that had 2848 pixels along the short side would have 4272 pixels along the long side.

The decisions that are required

When starting to create a sequence, I always begin by choosing the aspect ratio. I then choose the image size. For example: If I am going to create a sequence using only still images from my Nikon D300s, I will choose 3:2 as the aspect ratio (it is the nearest fit). I will then choose the image size. This I would set to 1080 high - because that is the height of a HD image and I expect to show the sequence on my TV to friends. I would set "Constrain proportions" in my image editor software (Photoshop Elements) so that the aspect ratio of 3:2 was preserved when I was resizing the images down to 1080 high.

The sequence I am currently working on uses video clips from the D300s. These are 1280x720 pixels in size (an aspect ratio of 16:9). For this sequence I have set the aspect ratio to 16:9 and the size of slide to 1280x720. I would prefer to have used 1920x1080 as the size specified within PTE but I did not want my videos sizing upward from their original size of 1280x720. To have had them upsized by PTE would have resulted in over half the pixels not being there in the first place, but having been added by the computer. This adding of pixels is called "interpolation" and it is always accompanied by very visible image degradation - usually a very noticeable softening or lack of sharpness.

I hope that has helped you. If I have been guilty of "teaching grandma to suck eggs", I apologise. If you still have questions or doubts, please go ahead and ask for further help.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I guess I let this get to me and let it cloud my vision. I do understand aspect ratio as I use it in photoshops camera raw when I am cropping images for printing, using 3:2 to print 4x6's, 8x12 etc. I just never applied it to tv's and other electronic devices like computer monitors (although I have mine set up) or other sized screens.

I allowed myself to become frustrated to the point of feeling really foolish and this after spending some 20+ years in the wood products industry troubleshooting others work and designing mechanical machines.

From the way it sounds I am on the right track for doing exe files as well as hd TV.

Dave,

By "The dvd version needs to take tv safe zone into account." I assume you are talking about the screen tab in the project options box labeled "Mode" and virtual size of slide?

Thanks for you patience guys,

Steven

Steven,

"Show safe TV zone" is a setting found (in v7.0.7) by going into the Objects and Animation window and clicking on the "Tools" button (lower right). Placing it here suggests that it matters only for animated objects. That's not necessarily the case. It can be important even on the main image. It helps you build a sequence where all of the image that you want the user to see remains within view even if the TV technology is so dated that it doesn't always show 100% of the image. This was a real problem on the old cathode-ray tube TVs but is much less of a problem on flat screen TVs.

Draw the analogy with the viewfinder of a dSLR camera. Only those models in the top end of the range show 100% of what the lens sees. Further down the range you might get only 92-95% coverage.

regards,

Peter

Steven,

................ This was a real problem on the old cathode-ray tube TVs but is much less of a problem on flat screen TVs.

Draw the analogy with the viewfinder of a dSLR camera. Only those models in the top end of the range show 100% of what the lens sees. Further down the range you might get only 92-95% coverage.

regards,

Peter

But it is nevertheless a problem.

If you have important information right up to the edges of the images or are using a thin white line frame around your show you will lose it if "TV Safe Zone" is not taken into account even with HD Flat Screen TVs.

Try making a DVD version of a 1920x1080 show with a White Line Frame around the outside fit the HD TV perfectly without losing the line?B)

DG

Peter,

If you closely examine TV Safe Zone I think that you will find that with a 1920x1080 project the "cutout" is wider than 16:9 and does not give a true representation of what you eventually see on the TV.

This has something to do with the fact that the "lost area" on the TV is an equal amount in pixels all around the screen (not a percentage).

Therefore if you start out with a project resolution of 2138x1298 (1920x1080 plus 109 pixels all around) then applying TV Safe Zone gives the perfect result - a 1920x1080 placed in the middle of the 2138x1298 "canvas" and sized to "actual pixels" is perfection (in O&A).

Please note that 2138x1298 is NOT a 16:9 aspect ratio?

I have been using the Project Options> More> "% of slide to show Main Image" with a setting of 90-92% and this gives a good result / fit.

You mentioned "Animated Objects":

The only thing that can be assigned as "Main Object (Image) of Slide" is a JPEG or similar. Therefore if one of your 1920x1080 images is assigned as "Main object of Slide" at an Opacity of zero for every slide and all objects are then children of the Main Object, the "% of Slide....." method with a setting of around 90-92% should give you a perfect DVD with all animated objects reduced proportionately to give the desired result.

DG

I think I am getting a better understanding of what is going on by following the discussion of both Peter and Dave.

It seems that part of my problem going back to my last thread on resizing was I was taking too much of a bite having never produced a show with PTE.

The both of you have taught me that I need to experiment more to see what effects certain actions have on the final product.

Both of you are excellent teachers and I appreciate it. Peter: you chose my strong points (photography and cameras) by using the analogies of the DSLR and Dave has taken me step by step in the finer points of setting up and fine tuning show. Both of you are one heck of a team and that's what this is all about for us new folks.

I knew right from the get go that not only did I pick the right software but a forum/support that shares it's knowledge.

Thanks for setting the example for me to use as I gain experience and am able to share with others having problems. You guys almost make it sound easy.

Steven

Steven,

A question - when talking about playing a DVD are you talking about a standard (old fashioned!) DVD Player or could there be a BluRay DVD Player somewhere in the equation???

DG

A standard DVD player is all I have and the key parties watching has a wide screen LCD TV but playing on an "old fashioned" DVD player as well as a portable DVD player.

Ummmmmmm, should I crop my photos to something else other then 1920 x 1080 or if using your method 2138 x 1298???

With a Standard DVD Burner / Player I would use the method stated here.

DG

So I would be cropping them all to 2138 x 1298 then "% of slide to show Main Image" with a setting of 90-92%.

Thank you,

Steven