WnSoft Forums

"Around the Firth of Forth"

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

First of all a warning, this show isn't for the faint hearted, 130MB download. Again the weather was abysmal, dull windy, showers & flat sausages :huh:/> Went into a cafe in South Queensferry & ordered a sausage sandwich for lunch, the "sausage" was flat like a slice of bread :o/> . The shots were taken over two days, day one was a ferry trip on the "Maid of the Forth" from Queensferry to an island in the Firth, called Inchcolm where there is an Abbey where for an extra £2 you could be dropped of to explore & collected 2 hours later, we elected for the £10 round trip as it was raining. The second day (raining again) we drove over the Forth road bridge (toll free), turned West towards Glasgow to the Kincardine bridge, back across the Forth & along the Tourist Route back to Edinburgh. As we drove west, we could see a fiery glow in the sky, which after crossing back to the south side gradually got nearer. It turned out to be the Grangemouth oil & gas terminal. I had been telling Margaret to get a shot of it as we travelled along but she was having difficulty & there were no convenient stopping places. Eventually, we came to within 100 metres of the flame, only a fence separated us from it. I pulled into a gated entrance & proceeded to take some shots, as I was getting back in the car, a pickup truck pulled alongside, "You been tekkin pictures" the helmet & overall clad worker asked. "I" I replied. "Sorry but that is illegal, this is a high security area", "how did you clock me" I asked, he pointed to a CCTV camera between me & the flame :(/> . "you'll have to wait for the security chief", he arrived, lookin like he'd just left college, read the riot act & advised the police were on their way :blink:/> Oh S**t I thought. The copper arrived, minus blues & twos thankfully. He polightly read the same riot act & took my name & address, checked my pics, PNC'd my details, smiled shook my hand & sent me on my way. :ph34r:/> You'll have to watch the show to see the illegal pics. After all that waffle, the show details are as follows:

Mediafire download, 130MB 76 slides, 9 video clips, run time 9m 15s 16-9 ar, slide size fixed at 1920x1080, keyboard control activated, 4 music tracks & video sound tracks edited in Audacity, PTE version 7.07.

link removed by author, PM me if you want the link.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show, especially the way you intertwined video and stills. Hope to see more of this and it helped to have the short story along with it. It made your adventure with the security that more enjoyable being that you were able to keep the photos and did not end up wearing stripes :lol: .

Download was not bad either, a little less then 5 minutes.

Steven

Sorry, Eric. Would love to watch it (and some of your other recent shows, as well as a few others posted by Goddi) but 130 MB is about a 3-hour download for me. I am on a wireless broadband card so I'm not usually willing to go over about a 75 mb download at most. Unfortunately, that has limited me on some of the newer shows using large video clips.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mary

I know how you feel, it was the same when we lived in Wensleydale. The speed in Southport is reasonable, but soon eats up my 10GB BT limit, ah well. The "Edinburgh Afloat" show is only 34MB I think.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric

am going to make general comments on all 3 shows

your techniques have improved tremendously -- the video's are great - the shows were tested on my xp system -ati 256 card

your love of the sea shows in all the shows - shooting the ships is an art and thus your talent when shooting other scenes has improved - you have learned how to pick the important parts to capture

bet you are sorry you never had the little camera years ago -- you better get Margaret one for Xmas -- she is humped over carrying that big'un )))

keep up the good work

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks Ken

I keep trying to persuade Margaret to sell the D40 & get an FX150 which are now at ready money due to the introduction of the FX200, maybe after her fall when the camera around her neck acted like an anchor, she'll change her mind.

I still have some GB's left of my BT monthly allocation, so I'll download another from our Ross on Wye trip.

God knows what the file sizes will be if we both get video???

:o :o :o :o

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

PS had to chuck a lot of the footage from the boat trip overboard, I used the monopod on a vibrating deck with the VR switched on, gave a real wierd pulsating motion. :blink:

Hello Eric

Considering the weather you managed to get very reasonable light into your images.

The introduction of the video (I'm not normally a fan), I thought worked well and slotted in nicely. I would have liked a few seconds longer on some of the clips.

Nice litle sequence reminded me of my own visits to SCotland.

By the way flat sausage is well known to us Ulster Scots here over the water, although its hard to come by nowadays. Its made with the sausage mix before it is put into skins. ;)

Your security run in reminded me of my own experiance some years ago. I had stopped to photograph some colourful benches at the side of a road here. Next day the police were making enquiries about my car reg. and what it had been up to. As it happened the call came to me in my office. I had not realise I was beside an Army helicopter base and a passing chopper had spotted me. :(

The things we do for art.

SNAPCAM

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks Snapcam. It was my wife who ordered the sausage sandwich in a small cafe in South Queensferry, she only managed half of it. I had bacon :P The short clips were probably edited down to keep the file a reasonable size. I have one from earlier this month which is 425mb with some longer clips & won't upload to Mediafire without an expensive up-grade. :(

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.