WnSoft Forums

PTE Menu Function on MAC

JEB

Hi,

Has anybody tried to create a PTE menu show for running on a Mac?

I have no problem using a menu on a PC but am failing miserably to get it to work on a Mac.

Clearly I can create shows individually that will work beautifully on the Mac but the menu option beats me!

Anybody had any success?

John

P.S. Using Lion on a PBP and Mountain Lion on an iMac, both with Parallels.

John,

I dont work on a MAC nor do I build for a MAC. I can only assume your file strings are not correct for a MAC to access the file. When working on a MAC ... you have to think like a MAC OS ... and not think like a Windows OS. Remember that MAC's run application files (app) and Windows's run executable files (exe).

Are you using Full File Paths or Relative File Paths in your PTE menu file ? (also show a example of your current filestring)

* Tom would be the best in telling you how you should proceed for a MAC.

John,

I have zero knowledge of macs (except that if I venture outside today I'm going to need to wear one. It's tanking down here!)

Let me give you my thoughts as to why it isn't working for you. Let's think, for a moment, about the Menu sequence as you would have set it up to run on a Windows machine. It would, I presume, be using either "Run application..." or "Run Slideshow..." commands to launch the next sequence from a button, a thumbnail image, a line of text, etc. Right?

You can, indeed, then Publish that as an Executable file for Mac. So far so good. But what has PTE actually done in that process? Those "Run..." commands are coded in terms of a Windows environment. They worked on your Windows system when you tested them. Right? To get those commands to work on a Mac I suspect they need to be coded in a different "grammar and syntax" - one that is specific for a Mac environment. But then they would not work under Windows, would they? So you wouldn't be able to test the menu sequence on your Windows machine and know it was working correctly before you did the Publish for Mac.

I think you are up against this fundamental difference between the two environments. It may not be possible at all to set up, in PTE, a Menu sequence on a Windows machine that will work on a Mac machine.

As nobeefstu said, we need someone with Mac experience to contribute, someone like Tom, someone who may have actually cracked this one already; if, indeed, there is a solution. I'm now as curious as you to know what the definitive answer on this is!

regards

Peter

Good morning and thanks for your replies.

I am about to go out for most of the day as The Edinburgh Festival Fringe is still on and as it is a bright sunny day here Peter I'm off to get some pictures and attend a few events so I am unlikely to get back to you for 24 hours. Essentially I have been creating Mac Versions and trying to use them as my menu items and then saving the menu as a Mac sequence but with no success. As you say perhaps Tom will see this and add his views. I will perhaps tonight get the chance to clear the decks and try afresh and report back tomorrow.

Thank again,

John

Tom

Thasnks very much for taking the time to get involved. I'm only at home for a short time so have no time till tomorrow to study your suggestions. If you do manage to put a demo/tutorial together I for one would be delighted.

Thanks again to you all,

John

PS Peter, the weather is still sunny and dry here if perhaps chilly for August!

PS Peter, the weather is still sunny and dry here if perhaps chilly for August!

Don't keep rubbing it with so much glee! It's been a cold and wet day down here - with only occasional glimpses of a big yellow thing through the clouds.

John, Tom, Stu, Peter,

"Run Slideshow" and "Run Slideshow With Return" commands doesn't work properly in Mac Executables created in PicturesToExe 7.0. It was a bug of version 7.0. We fixed it in version 7.5 beta.

The trick is to know the filename and the path syntax for Macs (unix). I did not experiment with run slideshow and return, open web page, etc.

If you have a slideshow named test1 and you want to run a slideshow test2 the text you would enter in the run text box would be:

./test2.app

There is no need to do that. You can enter "test2.exe" and create Mac executable. When you launch it on Mac, all paths will be automatically converted: "\" replaced with "/" and "exe" replaced with "app".

You don't want to use absolute paths because it would probably not run on another Mac. You may not even need the ./ part.

You can enter absolute paths - Mac executable searches both absolute and relative paths. And yes, ./ part is unnecessary :)

P.S. Please test Mac Executable function of PicturesToExe 7.5 beta. We need to know if there are any bugs left.