WnSoft Forums

Projectors DLP vs LCD

stonemason

Our camera club is in the process of buying a 1900 x 1080 projector for use in projecting digital images for visiting speakers and competitions in addition to PTE slideshows. As the projector is for club use the budget is less of an issue than perhaps it would be for a personal purchase. However the most vexing question is whether to buy LCD or DLP. I think Igor has expressed a preference for LCD before now, but given the differing opinions expressed on the web other PTE forum members experiences and observations would be most welcome.

Guest Yachtsman1

Our camera club is in the process of buying a 1900 x 1080 projector for use in projecting digital images for visiting speakers and competitions in addition to PTE slideshows. As the projector is for club use the budget is less of an issue than perhaps it would be for a personal purchase. However the most vexing question is whether to buy LCD or DLP. I think Igor has expressed a preference for LCD before now, but given the differing opinions expressed on the web other PTE forum members experiences and observations would be most welcome.

Hi Jeff I've seen this asked a few times over the years & have pointed people to

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/index.htm website, there is lots of info on there if you root it out, incuding projector specs & their uses. IMO it depends what the main use of the projector is, digital images or PTE type AV shows. I've got two one of each, the DLP is a spare I've had for some time although the lamp hours are still low. I currently use is a cheepo Optoma LCD which was just over £300. Some models offer a free replacement lamp, which is good if it's going to get a lot of use. I've tried to attach a recent Optoma range brochure but it's over my new PTE upload limit. I used one of their middle rage full HD machines on Tuesday evening but couldn't get a good pic on my LT, I think their res' was set too high, it worked fine on their hybrid PC, but the contrast when displaying Audacity was rubbish, obviously it hadn't been set up for that. Best advice I can give, find a general projector supplier near you & ask for a demo & take some files along.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1