WnSoft Forums

Fade in/out transition [SOLVED]

Attfield

In the world of film and video, the term dissolve is used when two images "dissolve" one into the other. The term fade is used for a fade to or from black.

When slide shows were produced using two projectors and a control unit linking them, a dissolve was achieved by fading one projector lamp down as the other was faded up. The images dissolved, the projector lamps faded.

The basic transition between two images should, therefore, be called a dissolve.

Peter

A dissolve is when one image fades from 100% opacity to black while another fades from black to 100% opacity (both during the same transition time).;)/>/>.

DG

Not disagreeing. I remember that in my version prior to 7.5 there was a fade in/out transition. It is not there now. Is there some other option?

The transition has not changed - its name has?

It is now "dissolve".

If you DISSOLVE from a normal image to a black slide it is "Fade Out".;)/>/>

DG

Interesting. To me a dissolve is when during the course of one clip going from 0 - 100% opacity, the next clip simultaneously goes from 100 - 0% opacity. At no time, therefore, is the picture black. In contrast, a fade in/out is when one clip first goes from 0 - 100%, and then, immediately after, the next clip goes from 100 - 0 % opacity. In this, therefore, there is an instant where the picture is black and the two clips are never on the screen at the same time.

The old "Fade In/Out" transition never took one image to black then brought the next up from black. It always did a dissolve. I think that is why it has been renamed. Its name now reflects exactly what it does. As far as I know (using PTE since mid-2005), there never was a Fade transition which did as you describe, i.e. to black-from black.

Peter