WnSoft Forums

DELL ULTRASHARP IPS MONITOR

David Porter

I am looking for a new monitor not only for my A/V work but also for printing my photos which I envisage will increase. I have been looking at the 24"

Dell U2412M.IPS as I like the idea of the 16:10 format. It is around £240 which is about as much as would want to pay. Any thoughts on this monitor or alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

iiyama?

http://www.dabs.com/category/computing,desktops-and-monitors,monitors/11109

Just tap in your requirements and you can eliminate the alternatives.

Not suggesting that you buy there but I have had good dealings with them.

My IIYAMA 24" is great - but I would consider changing to 1920x1080 to have everything in the same AR - for the time being!!

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Mick

Any reason for 16-10? If you are making DVD's for showing on widescreen TV's, 16-9 is the norm, I know people compromise with 16-10 to get the best of both worlds meaning less cropping of 3-2 pics from your camera, assuming you can't change the AR in camera? I use 16-9 straight out of my camera but it is a pain having to compose your pictures for viewing through a letterbox, maybe 4-3 will come back one day. Incidentally I don't know the monitor you have chosen, but I can swivel mine 90 degrees which is a great feature for editing portrait shots.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Mick

Any reason for 16-10? If you are making DVD's for showing on widescreen TV's, 16-9 is the norm, I know people compromise with 16-10 to get the best of both worlds meaning less cropping of 3-2 pics from your camera, assuming you can't change the AR in camera? I use 16-9 straight out of my camera but it is a pain having to compose your pictures for viewing through a letterbox, maybe 4-3 will come back one day. Incidentally I don't know the monitor you have chosen, but I can swivel mine 90 degrees which is a great feature for editing portrait shots.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

As I said I intend to do a lot more printing (joining a photo club). Being a bit of a stick-in-the-mud and shooting 35 mm for over 50 years, I tend to compose in the format of the camera 3:2. I think that is a good starting format for prints as it can be cropped square or wide screen, although wide screen does not always work for prints (in my view). So 16:10 seems to be a good compromise.

Jumping threads and having put the Youtube link on for you, what did you think of my "Autumn Leaves"?

Guest Yachtsman1

As I said I intend to do a lot more printing (joining a photo club). Being a bit of a stick-in-the-mud and shooting 35 mm for over 50 years, I tend to compose in the format of the camera 3:2. I think that is a good starting format for prints as it can be cropped square or wide screen, although wide screen does not always work for prints (in my view). So 16:10 seems to be a good compromise.

Jumping threads and having put the Youtube link on for you, what did you think of my "Autumn Leaves"?

Hi Mick

I didn't comment because what I saw on Youtube didn't match the positive comments, so I assumed the others had downloaded the Exe. In other words the quality didn't seem there on my Youtube download. While we are talking youtube, I made am MP4 of my Botanic Road show with the intention of putting it on Youtube, but the 75 MB exe came out as a 250MB MP4, so I tried making an IPad/IPod version & that only increased the size by 33% to 100MB, tried to upload it to Youtube but it stuck part way through, may try again later.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Mick

I didn't comment because what I saw on Youtube didn't match the positive comments, so I assumed the others had downloaded the Exe. In other words the quality didn't seem there on my Youtube download. While we are talking youtube, I made am MP4 of my Botanic Road show with the intention of putting it on Youtube, but the 75 MB exe came out as a 250MB MP4, so I tried making an IPad/IPod version & that only increased the size by 33% to 100MB, tried to upload it to Youtube but it stuck part way through, may try again later.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Well, as I thought I will not bother to link to Youtube again on this site