WnSoft Forums

Massive Increase in File Size

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Just converted my "Wet" AV show to an MP4 in PTE's "Publish" as, the file size shot up from 28MB for the Exe to 187MB for a medium quality MP4, which I then used PTE's converter/editor which brought it up to a massive 294MB almost a factor of times 10 from the original Exe. I have also noticed that when I download video clips from Youtube this upsizing happens when using PTE. I wondered why :unsure:/>/>/> Can it be improved without resorting to yet another video converter.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-33024600-1355226612_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-07872500-1355226634_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-38948100-1355226661_thumb.jp

Going from an EXE to a video will always result in "massive" upsizing. In the EXE, each static slide is stored just once. The playback of the EXE holds it on screen for however long you want. Convert that sequence to video at, say, 24 frames per second, and that same slide will now be stored 24 times for every second that it is on screen. Assuming a full HD sequence that's the difference between 1920x1080 and 1920x1080x24 x how ever many seconds for that one image. If your original 1920x1080 image was 1MB in size, in the video that will expand to 24MB per second of on screen time.

Different video formats use different amounts of compression. Think in terms of the difference between RAW, TIFF and JPEG for single images. If you convert from, say, TIFF to JPEG you expect the file size to drop depending upon how much JPEG compression you go for. If you convert JPEG to TIFF you expect a "massive" increase in file size.

Also, in the world of video file sizes MOV does not equal AVI does not equal MP4; nor does MP4 equal MP4 or AVI equal AVI. Once again it depends on the degree of compression being applied by the video codec in use.

regards,

Peter

It's a steep learning curve cool.gif/>

I recorded a School Nativity Play this morning and used PTE to create an MPEG4 to play on TV via USB.

I used completely default settings, converted the video in PTE's converter.

2.3 Gb.

Plays really nicely on the TV in spite of being upsized from 576 high to 1080 High.

DG

P.S. The TV does not support the Video files produced by the non-HD 4:3 Digital Video Recorder.

Guest Yachtsman1

It's a steep learning curve cool.gif/>

I recorded a School Nativity Play this morning and used PTE to create an MPEG4 to play on TV via USB.

I used completely default settings, converted the video in PTE's converter.

2.3 Gb.

Plays really nicely on the TV in spite of being upsized from 576 high to 1080 High.

DG

P.S. The TV does not support the Video files produced by the non-HD 4:3 Digital Video Recorder.

Why not convert the video files to something suitable using say Videopad? :unsure:

Yachtsman1.

Because I didn't want to? Didn't need to?

PTE did it for me, plus I can superimpose stills on the video and all of the other clever things that PTE does?

2.3Gb for 30 minutes of High Quality HD Video is not bad.

I will now try a smaller project size and let the TV do the upsizing.

DG