WnSoft Forums

Wilfred Owen's War

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Wilfred Owen was a poet & soldier of The "Great War" as it was known, one of the bloodiest conflicts of modern times. What made me chose this as a subject you may ask? Well it's Christmas, when around this time the protaganists of the war laid down their arms & in no mans land, had a game of football. Which led me on to think about my late Father who was also a soldier in the same regiment as Owen. Unlike Owen he survived to begat me, however when he died he took with him a piece of shrapnel whose removal was innoperable. This is not a happy show, however I have used it to develop my PTE technique. Unfortunately due to the extensive video content it went over my Mediafire limit, so I had to put it on YouTube which raised a dispute about one of the track titles in Audacity. I couldn't remember the name of the title & despite stripping the data, YT picked up on the name I had made up for the title. I have therefore disputed the claim they are making, so I may eventually have to pull it.

Mechanics

203 MB actual Exe,302MB MP4, run time 8.5 minutes, 25 slides, 3 video clips, numerous sound tracks & effects, two voice overs of Owen's poems, 1920x1080 slide size, (16-9) aspect ratio. Artistic licence, as the battles of Passhendaele & Somme have been blended together. I have also attached screen shots of the final make up of the two parts of the work. PTE7.07 & Audacity 2.02. used.

link removed by author, PM me if you want the link.

post-5560-0-70428300-1356121134_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-92378800-1356121284_thumb.jp

Hello Eric,

Well you have certainly helped develope your PTE techniques im sure. I can see you have worked hard with sound effects, video and stills etc.

Every time I see Anything about the Great war it continually reminds us of how so many men lost their lives and yes 'Lest We Forget' not just for this war but all wars and all the horrific things man does to itself.

Ralph

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks for looking Ralph, one only has to look what is available on the internet on the subject and wonder why we continue to inflict such horror on ourselves. When will it end?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

At first I had decided not to make a reply but realized that you have reached a point where the effects and presentation were excellent and to some degree inspirational as presenting an emotional subject.

If I had any wish it would have been that the volume of the music and sound effects was too loud during the first poem and I found it some what distracting while trying to listen to the words.

The reason that I had a hard time deciding to reply was that the show was very emotional (as you said it was not a "happy show").

You see, the thought crossed my mind about the thousands and thousands and thousands of lives lost to give us the freedoms that we have had only to see my nation and it's present generation give those freedoms up, one and two and three at a time. It's as if those who died, died for naught and I hope we wake up before it is too late.

Maybe your show will be a beginning.

Steven

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Steven

I did play around with the sound on this show quite a while. The problem was the first recording was downloaded with a soft spoken voice which when amplfied brought up a lot of background noise, although I was able to filter out some of it, it wasn't perfect. When looking initially at the production. I was going to record my own VO's but having found these two, took the easy way out. There was another version by a famous actor, but I rejected it as I wanted to try to convey the meaning behind the words. I won't be re-doing the show, it was too emotional first time around, however as a matter of interest I have attached a draft script I had prepared when I was going to do my own VO. Thanks for looking.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

WO and B poems..zip

• 3 weeks later...

Eric

Just watched your sequence, I liked the voice over but am not sure about the music but then you cannot satisfy everyone.

On a technical note I wonder if it would have been more effective if the video had been in the window instead of the still shots.

Reading the end credits I can understand why it was an emotional subject for you to make a sequence about. My family lost members and friends in the great war and I have always regretted not visiting their resting places before coming to Australia.

I feel that you have made a very poignant sequence.

Kindest regards

John

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric

Just watched your sequence, I liked the voice over but am not sure about the music but then you cannot satisfy everyone.

On a technical note I wonder if it would have been more effective if the video had been in the window instead of the still shots.

Reading the end credits I can understand why it was an emotional subject for you to make a sequence about. My family lost members and friends in the great war and I have always regretted not visiting their resting places before coming to Australia.

I feel that you have made a very poignant sequence.

Kindest regards

John

Thanks John

I did think of using the video in a window & on subsequent shows may try that as the video quality would probably improved. The music was a compromise, as I wanted to upload it to YouTube & knowing their strict policeing policy, I sourced non copyright tracks, despite that they flagged up one of them as having copyright content. So I challenged them, then earlier this week I received email confirmation that I was correct & the track was copyright free. The voice overs were downloaded from various versions on YouTube, I could have chosen well known readers, but again didn't want to infringe copyright. As a matter of interest I have now made all my Youtube downloads private due to circumstances that happened on the forum once again. So if you require any further downloads you will need a Youtube account & to PM me via the forum.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.