WnSoft Forums

First attempt

A really enjoyable show giving a good insight into life in India and that is the main point. Very good photography and choice of music, and for your first show you really have got to grips with PTE. Some points that I can pick out and these things are very much a matter of personal taste:- 1) Perhaps a little long 2) Too many zooms, some were for a good reason but others were not I thought 3)With the zooms, I like to fade them into the next slide before the movement has stopped. I think this gives a much smoother effect. Hopefully you will get some more constructive cooments and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Guest Yachtsman1

I was asked to comment on this show by PM, as the comments were the subject of a PM I won't publish them, suffice it to say they were practically the same as Micks. I suggested to Deepak he posted on here to get a broader view. :rolleyes:/>

Yachtsman1.

Excellent photography and very apt choice of music.

When a sequence is not telling a specific story, the aim should be to have the images moving in harmony with the music. I found that the abrupt "stop" on each of your zooms broke the flow of your sequence. To elaborate on Mick's comment about your use of zoom: a zoom should have a purpose. Usually it is done to go from a strong image to an even stronger image (think of it as cropping but done dynamically). It can also be used to emphasise which part of the image the narrator is talking about in sequences that have voice over.

I felt that one image jarred against all the rest (maybe that is what you intended); and that was the image of the shop mannequins. All the other images of "people" were of real people.

One final point... There was just a suggestion of a "false ending". As you neared the end of the sequence you introduced some lovely sunset shots. OK, they may have been sunrises but coming towards the end of the sequence they felt like sunsets; and it felt like the show was closing off beautifully. Then you went back to some brighter shots before returning to your final "sun behind flag" image. Again the flow had been broken.

For a first attempt this is very commendable, indeed.

regards,

Peter

A really enjoyable show giving a good insight into life in India and that is the main point. Very good photography and choice of music, and for your first show you really have got to grips with PTE. Some points that I can pick out and these things are very much a matter of personal taste:- 1) Perhaps a little long 2) Too many zooms, some were for a good reason but others were not I thought 3)With the zooms, I like to fade them into the next slide before the movement has stopped. I think this gives a much smoother effect. Hopefully you will get some more constructive cooments and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Mickp,

Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate your comments, all taken on board.

Regards, Deepak

Excellent photography and very apt choice of music.

When a sequence is not telling a specific story, the aim should be to have the images moving in harmony with the music. I found that the abrupt "stop" on each of your zooms broke the flow of your sequence. To elaborate on Mick's comment about your use of zoom: a zoom should have a purpose. Usually it is done to go from a strong image to an even stronger image (think of it as cropping but done dynamically). It can also be used to emphasise which part of the image the narrator is talking about in sequences that have voice over.

I felt that one image jarred against all the rest (maybe that is what you intended); and that was the image of the shop mannequins. All the other images of "people" were of real people.

One final point... There was just a suggestion of a "false ending". As you neared the end of the sequence you introduced some lovely sunset shots. OK, they may have been sunrises but coming towards the end of the sequence they felt like sunsets; and it felt like the show was closing off beautifully. Then you went back to some brighter shots before returning to your final "sun behind flag" image. Again the flow had been broken.

For a first attempt this is very commendable, indeed.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your comments, I agree the use of zoom is somewhat overdone and sequence of shots needs more attention. Thanks for taking the time.

Regards, Derek

Hello Derek,

I really enjoyed your sequence, absolutely brilliant.

I found that I was really looking forward to the next slide, the zooms I thought were good, its a way of leading someone into a photo and one never knew what was going to be shown.

It was great to be entertained in that way, instead of watching some boring predictable documentary like sequence.

Im sure some of the old "way back when" street photographers like Kishan and the more recent Babla Paul and people like Callahan, the great Klien, Helen Levitt, Gary Winogrand & Elliot Erwitt would of been thrilled to bits if they had taken some of your shots.

I hope you remain fresh in your outlook and Im really hoping Derek that you do not have to present this to some archaic camera club type of judging, and that you can be yourself and not asked to produce run of the mill sequences where you have to have it "like this " or "like that".

To sum up Derek, fantastic, refreshing, entertaining, great soundtrack, loved the zooms, far better than most of us did on a first attempt and cant wait to see something else from you, so please be "yourself"

regards

Ralph

Fantastic show, Deepak, and your photography is first class. Hugely interesting images, putting the viewer right into the scene. I felt I was actually there, could almost hear and feel the ambiance, the atmosphere. Nothing short of dramatic photography!

I know exotic places lend themselves to exotic photography, and I have been to a few exotic places as well - but I have never imagined or gotten anywhere near your expertise with a camera.

I agree with the comments about zooming, but that is simply a matter of technique with PTE that you will pick up easily, I should think.

My overall impression? BRAVO!!!

Fantastic show, Deepak, and your photography is first class. Hugely interesting images, putting the viewer right into the scene. I felt I was actually there, could almost hear and feel the ambiance, the atmosphere. Nothing short of dramatic photography!

I know exotic places lend themselves to exotic photography, and I have been to a few exotic places as well - but I have never imagined or gotten anywhere near your expertise with a camera.

I agree with the comments about zooming, but that is simply a matter of technique with PTE that you will pick up easily, I should think.

My overall impression? BRAVO!!!

cjdnzl

Thanks for your comments. Have just posted another presentation - no zooms this time!!

Derek