WnSoft Forums

Ripping Video

Mike Reed

I have purchased DVD from which I wish to copy a small section. It plays well in Windows Media Player. I believe that my IAC licences will cover me although I am not planning to show this anywhere else other than at my camera club. Can anybody walk me through the process if it can be done.

I have purchased DVD from which I wish to copy a small section. It plays well in Windows Media Player. I believe that my IAC licences will cover me although I am not planning to show this anywhere else other than at my camera club. Can anybody walk me through the process if it can be done.

====================================

Mike,

As I just responded in another posting about screen capture, and I suggested that they try the BBFlashBack Express. It is free. You can export the screen recording to AVI and Flash. And, you can have two audio inputs at the same time, if you want (audio from your screen and audio from a microphone). I had been using the defaults when I have previously played around with it. I just tried to capture a YouTube video movie trailer but it did not look as good as the original. But, since you mentioned you wanted to copy a section of a movie, I went into the BBFlashBack Express program and I found that I could change the frame rate to 25. I did a test and it looked pretty good...same as the YouTube quality on the screen. So, maybe this might do it for you (?).

http://www.bbsoftwar...ackExpress.aspx

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

I tried a few screen capture freebies before I settled with Camtasia, which you can download free for 30 days & the picture quality is superior to the freebies, as it should be for what it costs.

However, saying all that, IMO Mike isn't looking to screen record his DVD as it will always be degraded to some extent using screen capture, to extract from a dvd I use the free version of Video Pad, which will take the original content from the DVD but only produce an AVI, you have to buy it for other formats. Once you have the VP AVI if you want to edit the existing sound, which is a bit complicated in VP, use audacity to strip & edit the VP audio.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS There is a demo on the tutorial section here on how to strip the audio with Audacity.

I tried a few screen capture freebies before I settled with Camtasia, which you can download free for 30 days & the picture quality is superior to the freebies, as it should be for what it costs.

However, saying all that, IMO Mike isn't looking to screen record his DVD as it will always be degraded to some extent using screen capture, to extract from a dvd I use the free version of Video Pad, which will take the original content from the DVD but only produce an AVI, you have to buy it for other formats. Once you have the VP AVI if you want to edit the existing sound, which is a bit complicated in VP, use audacity to strip & edit the VP audio.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS There is a demo on the tutorial section here on how to strip the audio with Audacity.

Eric,

I have Video Pad, too. However, I just tried to do what I think you are talking about but I don't quite see how.

I have a regular DVD movie that I tried to extract to an AVI. When I do an 'Add Media' and point to the DVD, I can choose the files in either of the two folders, Audio_TS or Video_TS. When I choose the files in the Video_TS folder, VideoPad produces a VOB file and an MP4 file for each of the original VTS files, individually. I don't see how it can convert the entire movie to a single AVI file.

Can you shed some light on the process you are using?

Thanks, Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

I have Video Pad, too. However, I just tried to do what I think you are talking about but I don't quite see how.

I have a regular DVD movie that I tried to extract to an AVI. When I do an 'Add Media' and point to the DVD, I can choose the files in either of the two folders, Audio_TS or Video_TS. When I choose the files in the Video_TS folder, VideoPad produces a VOB file and an MP4 file for each of the original VTS files, individually. I don't see how it can convert the entire movie to a single AVI file.

Thanks, Gary

Hi Gary

I will have to check out the process I used, busy at the moment but it will be on my first thing to do list next time I use the computer, maybe I should do a Camtasia 8 screen capture tutorial??? :blink:/> .

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

I just duplicated the method I used before & can confirm it works with a home made DVD produced with PTE Video Builder. The previous time I did this was to strip off a DVD my neighbour had of a Russian River cruise which you may have seen on here under the title Mary & Jeff's Russian Cruise parts 1 to 5. This was a 1 hour DVD & the whole process of ripping & splitting into 5 parts took over a day, so if you want to proceed down this route, be prepared particularly if it's a commercial DVD 3 hours long. Also some DVD's may have a protection factor built in to prevent ripping.

Right I'll begin, follow the steps you described in your query, click on the video file & allow the ripping process to start, it took around 35 minutes to rip off a 1 hour DVD. You then end up with a number of video & audio files in VP, select them all, & hit the "save movie" button, this is where you find you can only save as an AVI, unles you have the paid for version. I allowed that to run for 30 minutes & it still had 2 hours + to go so I killed it, despite that I had made part of the AVI file wich opens with WMP & is acceptable in PTE for video editing & Audacity for Audio editing. I gave up on making a screen capture of the process as our local power station was complaining about my power usage :unsure:/> Check out the screen shots, if you get stuck come back. VP5 is the converted AVI in WMP, the opening page of the DVD, the picture looks ropey because it's a 100 year old postcard. Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-29787600-1358968944_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-76196900-1358969035_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-97803400-1358969059_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-41464600-1358969084_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-05612400-1358969108_thumb.jp

Mike,

Go down to the "Equipment & Software" section of the Forum where I posted a program called "Multi Media Converter" which

can (rip) record parts of ~or~ a whole DVD. This software may suit your requirements as you specified above.

Brian (Conflow)

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

Thanks, Gary

Hi Again Gary

Another thread on here reminded me, there is also Prism, which is pretty bomb proof & free if it's just ripping & converting you want, VP you can do all 3 rip, convert & edit.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-26038700-1359012738_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Avoiding the copyright issues from a technical viewpoint it's really easy. Along with the ones others have mentioned here are two more x264 interfaces that I have used with good results.

HandBrake (French)

XMedia Recode (German)

If you like command line applications then FFmpeg works great too. I use it on linux sometimes when I have a large number of files to convert.

FFmpeg

Tom

You can't rip straight from DVD with a vanilla copy of handbrake I don't think, it can't get round the CSS encryption that comes on most commercial DVD's.

Handbrake worked for me when ripping home-made dvds (no drm protected), but I have been using AppGeeker for the past 8 months for DVDs i bought. Both of these compress the original dvd so the quality is not 100%; but You really cant tell. It doesnt bother me none.

How to rip DVD to .avi

If you want full quality use AppGeeker. This rips everything including features. I have them both.