WnSoft Forums

Carry Speed VF-3 Viewfinder and Sunshade...

Lin Evans

Hi Guys,

If you use a camera which "only" has an LCD for framing or focusing, or if you use your dSLR for video and on a tripod, you will eventually find that you absolutely need something to allow you to see the LCD in bright sunlight, or with sunlight to your back.

I use a wide variety of dSLR's and digicams and for many years have used the Photosolve "Xtend-a-View" sunshade and magnifier to allow me to see the LCD for framing, precise focus and also even to make menu changes. The Xtend-a-View line has served me well, but in recent years my eyesight has changed and I really need a diopter adjustment to compensate. I have been using foam tape to extend the distance from the LCD to the housing on my various Xtend-a-View devices, but I have found a single solution which works with virtually "all" my cameras. In looking for a solution, I tested the Zacuto Pro (very expensive), the Carry Speed VF-3 and several "Hoodman" devices. The Carry Speed was my favorite. I specifically wanted something to work with my tiny Sigma DP2 Merrill fixed lens camera. The DP2 Merrill is an incredibly high resolution fixed 45 mm (35mm SLR equivalent) jewel which I use primarily tripod mounted. Like a rangefinder camera, it doesn't have an optical viewfinder or an EVF (electronic viewfinder). There is an optical viewfinder available from Sigma, but it uses the flash hotshoe and parallax prevents its use for serious closeup photography.

The Carry Speed VF-3 isn't "perfect" for the DP2 Merrill because there is a 7.8 mm "gap" between the LCD and the rear boot of the viewfinder when mounted, but it isn't a deal killer and it works "perfectly" on all my dSLR's including my Nikon D7000, Sigma's with battery accessory plate mounted all my Canon dSLR"s and my Olympus E3. The designer of the VF-3 is working with me to improve the design so that it perfectly fits the Sigma DP2 Merrill (DP1 Merrill, DP3 Merrill, DP2, DP2, DP1X, DP2X, etc.) as well as the Sony RX-100.

It's a rather large device, but since people who use the Sony RX-100 for serious video work, I think the value of having such a device is well worth the $129.00 price.

Here are links and some pictures I took of the device mounted on my DP2 Merrill. I might say that the "gap" between the LCD and the rubber boot on the rear of the VF-3 housing has not prevented me in any way from seeing the LCD clearly regardless of sunlight position, but as I said, the designer is working with me for a solution which "should" work also for numerous other small cameras.

All buttons, controls and the battery and SD access port are available on the Sigma with the device and camera mounted on the tripod. The large eye cup is easily reversible for those who use their left eye. There is a built in "switch" which activates an internal "lens" cap and prevents sunlight from damaging the LCD when the device is not actively in use. The diopter is easily adjusted with a large "ring" and it takes only seconds to remove the device to gain access to the optical viewfinder on your camera. A note for users of the Sony RX-100: The battery and SD card access will not be available with the device or base-plate mounted on the camera because of the rather unusual off-center location of the tripod access on the RX-100 which is immediately adjacent to the battery/SD card access. So if shooting video with an RX-100 and using this device, a freshly charged battery and large SD card would be recommended. It doesn't take long at all to remove the base-plate from the camera. A coin or the provided hex wrench will allow it to be removed in a few seconds, but it is less convenient than having the access readily available without removing the camera from the tripod.

In all, I find this to be a valuable addition to one's "kit' for closeup, video work or just to see the LCD with bright sunlight behind you. It's also very easy to use while wearing glasses.

Best regards,

Lin

Carry Speed VF-3 Link

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg