WnSoft Forums

video optimization, two problems with video converter

Picsel

Two problems concerning the use of videoconverter

1) Problem to display Sony AVCHD videos clips (h264/interlaced/1080i/25fps/mts) inside the Video Converter

although the thumbs and file name of videos are displayed correctly inside the file list explorer of the PTE main window, they are not recognised and I cannot open them inside inside video converter explorer, ...so it is not possible to adjust settings before conversion. (see attachment)

post-6446-0-24540400-1375774722_thumb.jp

NB : there is no problem to display the video inside the PTE file list explorer neither to play it with the mini viewer (except that it freezes). The automatic conversion using the "by default" parameters works correctly.

2) If I drag and drop a video on the timeline and accept the conversion for optimization, then the video converter opens and starts the conversion automatically without notification for setting up the video converter parameters.

So (except If I followed awrong way) if I need to set up such adjustments I must stop the conversion then delete the converted file part and open again the same video and pause, then it is possible to set up the parameters and start the conversion again.

It will be much better if there was a notification window for setting up all video converter parameters before video converter starts the conversion. That would be more logical.

My suggestion : clicking on the "Optimize" button should open the video converter main window on top of PTE main window (and not behind) and load the video file in the task list but the conversion should not start automaticaly but only on demand (added later : exactly the same way as with the right click in the file list).

Daniel

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Daniel

There was a lot of chat regarding PTE's video converter last year when I was trying to get Wnsoft to make it a manual function, when I discovered it was there all the time. See screen shot of 7.07, whether it's still the same in the current version, I don't know. As for AVCHD, I'm afraid at the moment PTE doesn't like it, again lots of chat last year & just last week about it. Suggest you try using the PTE search box, it should find AVCHD?

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-51047700-1375794135_thumb.jp

Picsel,

1) Problem to display Sony AVCHD videos clips (h264/interlaced/1080i/25fps/mts) inside the Video Converter ...

Sorry, I dont use AVCHD video files ... so I cannot offer any comments or suggestions relating to your issue.

2) If I drag and drop a video on the timeline and accept the conversion for optimization, then the video converter opens and starts the conversion automatically without notification for setting up the video converter parameters ...

It appears you are using ALWAYS CONVERT in your Preferences settings since you say it automatically converts without prompt.

I would set this setting to ASK EVERY TIME. (See Image 1)

When you add the video to the slide the Optimization of Video Clips window will appear if PTE suggests optimization. Once the window appears ... just close it or click Use Original File. (See Image 2) * Note : If you click Optimize at this step ... it will then auto-convert without your input.

Now just right-click the video file from the Slide List or Object List and select Convert Video Clip and the converter will open in a paused state. Now its possible to enter your prefered conversion settings before any auto conversion. (See Image 3)

post-45-0-09381800-1375834719_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-08125100-1375834729_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-27786700-1375834743_thumb.jpg

Picsel,

It appears you are using ALWAYS CONVERT in your Preferences settings since you say it automatically converts without prompt.

Thanks Yachtsman1, nobeefstu,

You are right! I missed the step in my preferences menu...why?

PTE has a lot of possibilities but it becomes difficult for me to remind all of them!

(...as I said in my previous post, the other possibility to solve the problem is to make a right clic on the video file inside the file explorer)

Anyway it will be better if this option was selected "by default" otherwise the PTE user does not know there are other possible parameters settings.

Best regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel

There was a lot of chat regarding PTE's video converter last year when I was trying to get Wnsoft to make it a manual function, when I discovered it was there all the time. See screen shot of 7.07, whether it's still the same in the current version, I don't know. As for AVCHD, I'm afraid at the moment PTE doesn't like it, again lots of chat last year & just last week about it. Suggest you try using the PTE search box, it should find AVCHD?

Yachtsman1.

Thanks for your reply.

My post was just to point out a problem inside video converter explorer with AVCHD files.

Concerning AVCHD videos editings, I must say that Igor has made a lot of improvements, thanks to him! (perhaps the reason is, if I remember well he said he bought a Sony AVCHD camera too.. :) ).

No way to enter the public or professional video editing market without taking into account the AVCHD. All Sony, Panasonic cameras use AVCHD)

Now, AVCHD (h264/1080i) videos are recognised inside the file list explorer of PTE, it is even possible to play them within the mini viewer (yes, they are still jagged..).

The video converter can convert them in a mpeg4 h263 and makes a quite good job. There is very few visible differences except the file size which is multiply by 1,5 for standard quality (50%) and by 2 for higher quality (90%) but if you accept this, you can use your videos footages for video editings/ slideshow within PTE.

Depending on your need, it could be faster and much easier than using Adobe Premiere Pro.

Igor said that he choose this solution because AVCHD codec requires too much CPU power for video editings.

I think that up to now he was right, for the future, using GPU capabilities ...I dont know. I hope he will go on with improvements. It would be much better to avoid cascading videos compression (h264 =>h263 for video editings then h263=>h264 for exporting the video) that is time consuming and loss of quality.

Wait and see..!

But, by experience, Premiere does not make a better job! (Only since CS5, a restricted number of graphic cards are able to use the GPU for video rendering,)

Best regards

Daniel

Picsel,

When you add the video to the slide the Optimization of Video Clips window will appear if PTE suggests optimization. Once the window appears ... just close it or click Use Original File. (See Image 2) * Note : If you click Optimize at this step ... it will then auto-convert without your input.

Now just right-click the video file from the Slide List or Object List and select Convert Video Clip and the converter will open in a paused state. Now its possible to enter your prefered conversion settings before any auto conversion. (See Image 3)

Nobeefstu

Concerning the problem n°2

I answer your post a bit too quickly, I thought I made an error in settings preferences parameters but after an in depht checking it appears that my settings were OK

So I come back to this problem.

I maintain that it should be better that clicking on the "Optimize" button, the software should load the video inside video converter and then open the video converter window on top of PTE main window and PAUSE and not START automatically as it is the case today. I hope that Igor can easily solve this problem in order to improve his software behaviour.

post-6446-0-90679200-1376228775_thumb.jp

It should start automaticaly only in the case where it is asked to "always convert".

To Igor,

Concerning AVCHD videos files, it seems there is a problem inside the video converter explorer (open a file...).

The AVCHD video file are recognised if they are inside a mts container but they are not if they are inside a m2ts container (using the same video codec)????

But in both cases (mts or m2ts) I can open them inside video converter using a right clic on the file name inside the PTE main window file list.

Best regards

Daniel