WnSoft Forums

video clip length

This was raised (by me) some time ago.

To the best of my knowledge it has never been addressed.

By right clicking on your video BEFORE adding it to the slide list you can use the converter to make adjustments to the length of the movie.

When the conversion is then completed you can add the CONVERTED movie instead of the original.

It's not ideal and I would much prefer to see the trimmed movie automatically change the slide duration but having asked once and not recieved a reply it is possible that what we are asking cannot be done?

At this time the only way forward is what I described above or modify the slide duration in Customize Slide.

Can one of the Mods move this to the Suggestions Sub Forum?

DG

Hi Lilly, David,

That happens because with a video editor, unless you render the video again, what happens is that the video editor only puts in "markers" (in and out markers) which internally tells a program to "start here, end there," and so on. To actually shorten a video so that PTE or other video player reveals the actual run length properly it must be rendered again. PTE is correctly revealing the true length rather than the display length of your video.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lilly, David,

That happens because with a video editor, unless you render the video again, what happens is that the video editor only puts in "markers" (in and out markers) which internally tells a program to "start here, end there," and so on. To actually shorten a video so that PTE or other video player reveals the actual run length properly it must be rendered again. PTE is correctly revealing the true length rather than the display length of your video.

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you to David and Lin !

I did not realize that I had to replace the clip by the converted movie !!!

I agree with David, it would be great if we could see the trimmed movie changing automatically...

Thank you very much to you both for your help.

Lilly

Hi Lilly,

Unfortunately, the only way for that to happen is if you regenerate or "render" the movie after making the changes. That's what the convert process in PTE is doing along with changing the compression to make it easier for low resource computers to run video. If you "edit" you clip in a video editor, then render it rather than save it, you will see the true "run time" rather than an incorrect time based on the number of frames times the frame rate.. Some editors do not have the capability of rendering so your movie may come out with exactly the same file size and "length" based on the original number of frames and frame rate rather than the number of frames actually "displayed."

When markers for "in" and "out" in video editors are inserted, it just tells the player to ignore or skip everything between the marked frames. It doesn't actually "remove" those frames so they still contribute to the "true" length of the movie. In PTE if you don't convert and you have edited in a video editor without rendering the video afterward, PTE and most video editors will read the number of actual frames times the number of frames per second to calculate the true time rather than the display time.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

I "think" that you misunderstand the OP??

If you drag a movie into a PTE slide line it (the slide) assumes the duration according to the movie length.

If you then decide to trim it in O&A and make it 10 seconds shorter by cutting 5 seconds off each end it then becomes 10 seconds shorter than slide duration and stops (freezes) 10 seconds from the end.

If the slide duration were to reflect the changes in Movie duration this would not happen. The slide duration must be manually changed to suit the adjustments made to the Movie duration.

I have already suggested this to Igor a while back.

Nothing so far..............

DG

P.S. By trimming in the Converter and making the CONVERTED Movie the exact length that you require then it does not happen - Slide duration = Movie Duration.

But we all like to fiddle and further trimming requires the manual adjustment.

Hi Dave,

I think you're right - I incorrectly assumed she was using an external video converter. The rest is pretty normal when other software is used to shorten the display time via the regular procedures.

I don't usually do my trimming via start and run times in O&A, but rather in the converter so I hadn't noticed that. It indeed seems that if we were "only " dealing with the video that PTE should make the slide duration identical to the video run time as modified in the options. On the other hand, what if there is more to the slide after the video clip has played? Then it gets more convoluted, so I'm not certain how it should be handled.

Best regards,

Lin