WnSoft Forums

video problem in EXE

Bert

I have converted and trimmed two of my AVCHD videos in the PTE converter, I have made a slide show of 14 min. with one video of 1 min. and one video of 2 min. The videos play fine in the PTE file. I have made an EXE and a MP4 file from the PTE file. The strange thing is that in the MP4 file, when played with Media player Classic Home, the videos play fine and smooth. When I play the EXE file of the show, the videos play not smooth but with some hesitation.

Is there a difference in computer use, when videos are played in the PTE file or in the EXE file? What could be the difference that the same videos play O.K. in PTE but not smooth when made to an EXE file.

My computer has 8mb of ram, and the graphics card is "(on board) AMD Radeon 6530D, 512mb.

Bert

Hi Bert,

There is a difference - Igor is aware of the issue. When you play the file as a PTE Preview it plays smoothly, but when made into an EXE file it may be jerky. The work-around I use is to load your converted MP4 of the entire show back in to PTE as a video and then output the EXE from the loaded video. By doing this the EXE will play smoothly. Until another solution is found, it seems to be the only way to get some complex files to play smoothly as exe files.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I did the following, Started a new project, made screen to 16:9, and went to the place where my MP4 was stored (former project), and put the MP4 in the new project slide list. Then I clicked on publish show for PC. The result does not work well. I did not even came to the videos because the images change without dissolves, sometimes there are 2 images over each other etc.. The EXE is now the same size as the MP4 and twice the size of the original EXE.

Can you tell me how you do it?

Thanks,

Bert

Hi Bert,

That sounds pretty much correct - I'm not sure where it is going wrong. What I do is this:

I create a show which I then click on Publish and publish as an exe, but the exe does not run smoothly.

Next I output as an HD MP4 and if that runs smoothly, then I start a new project.

I "convert" the MP4 with PTE and use the converted MP4 which is now usually a "larger" AVI as the "only" slide. I output this as a Widows or Mac Executable. The exe file will be "larger" than the original in most cases, but it always plays smoothly for me.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I see what I did wrong, I put the MP4 file direct in the slide list and made an EXE. I see that you convert the MP4 first, do you use the "normal settings" (quality 50%)for converting the MP4? Is there any degradation?

Regards,

Bert

Hi Bert,

Yes, I use the normal settings which gives a very nice video. The issue is that the MP4 h.264 is compressed a great deal which requires lots of the exe resources to decompress as well as play. With the conversion, the trade-off is size for smoothness. Since the CPU and GPU do not have to do so much work decompressing the file, they can play it much smoother.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi lin,

Your method worked, smooth video in the new EXE. I hope Igor is going to find a solution for this, and for playing AVCHD video smooth in the converter also. Outside all the time it cost, the files become very big.

The original PTE file included 3 minutes of converted video is 225KB. The EXE file from this (with not good playing video) is 846KB. The MP4 made from the PTE file is 1624KB and the EXE made from the converted MP4 is 1691KB.

I have to play this show at my camera club on an older laptop (not in my possession) and projector, I wonder what will play better, the 1624KB MP4 with the Classic Home Media Player, or the 1691KB EXE.

Thanks for your help,

Bert

I have had this problem and got round it - it may work for you.

Open Windows Live Movie Maker.

Open the basic video file (may be a 'mts' if it's an AVCHD from a still camera).

Save the file as High Definition (which is 1440x1080), giving it a suitable name.

It will appear as a wmv file in the folder it goes to.

This can be inserted into a pte project and edited like any other file.

It seems to run well when you watch the resulting exe file.

Hi lin,

Your method worked, smooth video in the new EXE. I hope Igor is going to find a solution for this, and for playing AVCHD video smooth in the converter also. Outside all the time it cost, the files become very big.

The original PTE file included 3 minutes of converted video is 225KB. The EXE file from this (with not good playing video) is 846KB. The MP4 made from the PTE file is 1624KB and the EXE made from the converted MP4 is 1691KB.

I have to play this show at my camera club on an older laptop (not in my possession) and projector, I wonder what will play better, the 1624KB MP4 with the Classic Home Media Player, or the 1691KB EXE.

Thanks for your help,

Bert

I had a change to play the EXE and MP4 files on a newer laptop. The EXE file plays not as well and is of less quality than the MP4 file. I hope Igor is working on a solution.

Bert