WnSoft Forums

Another interesting improvement of Fade effect

Igor

I'd like to suggest you try another new experimental improvement for Fade effect. It's exceptionally great idea suggested by think(box). And realization of Aleksey, my friend.

You should have installed newest version - beta #8.

As with opt_FastFade=1 option (which increases smoothness and visual quality in two times), close all running copies of PicturesToExe, open apr.ini file where located in PicturesToExe folder, and after string: pte_SoundInitDir= add new string:

opt_SmoothFade=1

Now PTE will produce slide-shows with Fade effect which ends more smooth and invisible, so you can't catch a moment when an old slide fully disappears.

Also probably you will need to increase duration of effect in 1.3 times. (e.g. 2000 ms. instead of 1500 ms.)

Thanks Ken. My problem now is that I can't get the slides show to run when using the "start first slide from the desktop" option IF I choose to syncronise the music. It starts to run then stops about halfway into the the first slide and simply repeats its efforts to open.Endlessly! As soon as I turn off the music syncro opt. it works perfectly. I'm using the latest beta with the timing options set at Igor's suggestions and with the INI file changed as above. Is this "no music syncro" to be expected? Thanks,

Jim.

Igor,

While I DO think that the fade effect is somewhat better with the SmoothFade option, I think that there is a problem with including it as a default. And that is that the fade is somehow noticeably faster and it somehow LOOKS different!

I realize that you said that if we use SmoothFade we should increase the duration of the fade by a factor of 1.3, but this will mean that if we use a newer version of PTE on an old PTE file, the presentation will look noticeably different. And you can't automatically the fade times by .3 for an old presentation, either, since if the presentation runs with close tolerances on fades, increasing a fade by that factor could make the show stutter.

1) Is there any option of making it "look better" but still not look "faster"?

2) If not, then I think either there needs to be an option for this either in Project Options (defaulted to "no" for PTE files created by earlier versions of PTE, and possibly to "yes" for new files) or on the individual transitions themselves.

For now, I deleted opt_SmoothFade from my INI file.

Harold

Igor,

The problem is actual but it’s visible only at the end with very long fade.

I’ve some long fade in the middle of the show strongly tied to music and when viewing after adding Fast and SmootFade, I don’t notice any important difference with only FastFafde version. Anyway, I don’t notice any disturb.

But I had to add a few seconds to last fade transition (a 18’’ transition from slide to black) to have the full black appearing just at the end of music.

Anyway, if there is a problem, this will concern only a show which is still a project.

I presume that previous shows are exe files and I wonder how many of us will have their old

shows remade with last PTE version.

But problem is actually actual.

In my opinion this is not a serious problem, but it is a problem, however.

In a long fade, the picture seems to stay on the screen a longer time. And if I want to "enchain" with a continuous fading effect several slides, the result is now much less effective, because there is a rather long pause between the transitions.

I agree and this reason why I didn't turn on the SmoothFade option by default currently.

Algorithm for smooth showing of this effects requires more time of show because Fade effect should ends more smooth and insensibly. But I'll try to find more optimal formula visually.

Also I agree with you that in case of visual speed difference this kind of Fade effect shouldn't be applied for existed projects, precisely only if author will enable it manually.

I didn't see difference with this option or without in case of long duration of the effect (something like 3500 or longer). Otherwise with SmoothFade it reaches a better visual impression when Fade effect ends, especially for 1500 ms duration.

I didn't see difference with this option or without in case of long duration of the effect (something like 3500 or longer)

Igor, I like very much the effect of "continuous" fading of multile sides, as I described yesterday.

So I took a little test show I had made, and I've remade it using PTE b#8 with and without opt_SmoothFade=1.

Well, even if fading transitions were 4500 sec long (with 500 ms interval between slides), I assure you that the difference is clearly visible. Without SmoothFade the flux of slides is almost continuous, with this addition I see each image stopping on the screen near 1.5 sec.

The final effect changes in significant manner.