WnSoft Forums

Mac Advice Needed

billbruen

Thinking of buying my Mac using son PTE8 as a Xmas present, but a bit put off by the many posts of 'problems' when using a Mac.

Would someone care to offer an opinion as to whether the 'best' setup is to use Bootcamp, Parallels, both, or something else altogether?

Bill.

Hello Bill,

I received you PM and replied to it but I think I think that I messed up the 'send' so you may not have received it.

If this is the case, please advise me by replying to this post and I will add my reply here.

Ron.

Hello Bill,

I received you PM and replied to it but I think I think that I messed up the 'send' so you may not have received it.

If this is the case, please advise me by replying to this post and I will add my reply here.

Ron.

I received it fine Ron, but I think it's a good idea to add it here anyway....could sway other waverers.....

Thanks again.

Thinking of buying my Mac using son PTE8 as a Xmas present, but a bit put off by the many posts of 'problems' when using a Mac.

Would someone care to offer an opinion as to whether the 'best' setup is to use Bootcamp, Parallels, both, or something else altogether?

Bill.

My configuration:

MacBook Pro 2,3 GHz Intel core i7 - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz ram - intel HD graphics 9000 1024 MB + NVIDEA Geforce GT 650M 512 mB - 480 GB SSD - OS Maverick

Parallels 9

Works perfect. Lightroom and CS under Apple, can drag images from Apple to Windows both working at the same time.

disadvantage : expensief

with bootcamp you can do it with less memory. but You have to close Apple every time you want to start Windows.

Luc M

Boot Camp lets you boot into Windows and there will be no issues at all. Its now a Windows system.

Parallels and VMware run Windows while running Mac OS and you don't need to reboot.

Either way works but there's less hassle with not needing to reboot.

How much memory is in the Mac and which Mac is it?

Boot Camp lets you boot into Windows and there will be no issues at all. Its now a Windows system.

Parallels and VMware run Windows while running Mac OS and you don't need to reboot.

Either way works but there's less hassle with not needing to reboot.

How much memory is in the Mac and which Mac is it?

I'd have to check with the Fruity One....can't keep up with his frequent hardware changes!

Hi,

As above, works very well with Parallels 9 and W7 on following spec.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac12,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

I'm no expert but though RAM is important I believe that the Graphics are equally important. I have a friend with an older Macbook who has difficulty in running Mac versions of shows I create that are reminiscent of the graphics card problems older PC's had in the past.

Regarding working with Parallels I have come to the opinion that a Mac version of PTE is now less important as Parallels and presumably VMware are, with each new issue, making Windows run just like any another app.

Regards

John