WnSoft Forums

Why a DVD for a slideshow

jongru2

I have been reading all the info on creating the avi files. I assume everyone is doing this to create a movie?? I thought everyone was trying to see a slide show on the television or other media. Why does everyone keep referring to an avi file as a movie??? Am I missing something. Could someone fill me in on the entire conceptual issues...i.e. going from a P2E slideshow with music to an avi then to a DVD. If I opt just to continue making slideshows then why would I want to take the rendering of movie approach to a normal VCD...Please clarify or clear my thinking....jongru :(

I thought everyone was trying to see a slide show on the television or other media

jongru

welcome to the forum.

you are getting confused by the terms because most of the software we are using to conert the slideshow to something that can be viewed on a tv via a dvd player uses the word "movie"

ken

jongru2,

P2E is a slideshow creation software program. As Ken said, the term movie is what most people use to describe the process where your slideshow is converted to a format so it can be watched on TV via a DVD player. The format is a "avi" file. This is the same format many movies are in so people refer to as a movie file.

So with P2E you can create a slideshow that can be viewed on computers (the "exe" file) or played on TV after it is converted to an "avi" file. They look the the same on either for the most part. Generally the computer screen "exe" file will be a slightly higher visual quality compared to most TV's.

It is quick and relatively easy to create the "exe" computer version of your slideshows. Converting it to an "avi" file so you can watch it on a TV takes more time and additional software. There is a lot of info on this part of the forum about this.

Hope this helps,

B) Bubba

Thanks Ken and Bubba,

I guess I am having a conceptual problem with the 'movie' idea of converting p2E files to avi then to record to a vcd.

Thought I had to convert all avi to mpg files to run on television but just found out that an avi is what is burned to the cd or dvd. I also learned that movie making software is not necessary for the tv show. It is recorded to a cd-r, cd-rw, or a dvd. The dvd player has to be able to read a VCD format which can be on either cd or dvd disks. Since cd is much cheaper and is adequate for most of my slideshows, then I will not have to use a 'rendering' program that converts an avi to a mpg. Right? Thanks for the help...jongru2

An exe file produces first class quality for viewing on a computer monitor - this quality can not yet be reproduced by burning to a CD or to a SVCD. If you want to maintain any real quality when showing on a TV screen then you have no real alternative than to consider a DVD player. Hence the rendering of an .exe file to mpeg2 to DVD.

Ron West

Thanks Ronniebootwest,

I am finding the same thing. I finally got the avi files to work in burning a vcd. I was appalled at the size and quality of the results. I think that the rendering via the dvd issue is the only recourse. Maybe I should just stay with the computer programs for the slideshows, but many of my older clients don't have a computer and don't want to invest the time or money in learning how to....they always ask to see it o n their tv set. Even that requires a dvd player of some sort....thanks though...jongru...