WnSoft Forums

Video Clip Problem

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Just started another new show which contains net images & video clips, some I've used before. Towards the end I have a PTE generated slide coloured blue, first I add the eyes, then the figure & then the vid clip, all to come on in sequence. The vid clip is a heartbeat monitor that at the end goes flatline. First of all when the clip appears in its sequence it is showing the end, flatline, so then I adjust the start time & duration, It then shows the start but doesn't progress (run). Can't seem to find any written info on how to do this, I've done it with other different clips & they work as they should without any fiddling. Any guidance welcomed.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-45939900-1390922742_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

I've just done a few tests both in the actual show & my practice show. It isn't the actual video clip as it happens with other clips. Will someone using 8.0.1 try this, open PTE, create a blank PTE slide of a length at least 20 seconds more than the video clip, add the video clip as a stand alone object, (not a child), reduce the opacity to 0 add a timed point drag it 20 seconds into the base slide in O&A, add a timed point, increase the opacity to 100%, add a timed point. Run the slide, does the video play OK, if yes that's as mine does so far. Add a picture slide, again stand alone, decrease the opacity to 0 add a timed point, drag it 10 seconds into the base slide, add a timed point, increase the opacity to 100%, add a timed point. Now start the slide from the beginning, let it run to the video clip, does the video clip run the full length, if it does, there is something in my settings different to yours. My video clip won't run. I've copied this with my test show & get the same result. If you get the same result as me, IMO there is a bug, if you don't I'm st***ed. :unsure:/>/> :unsure:/>/> :unsure:/>/>

Yachtsman1.

I have tried to follow your instructions and get a different result to you at the end of the first phase.

I have created a blank slide and given it duration 30.0s (File New, Insert Blank Slide, change duration via Slide List). To this I have added a video clip whose duration is 6.0s (O&A Add Video). This appears in the O&A as the only object. I have set the opacity to zero at offset 0 seconds. I have added another keyframe at c20 seconds. This has the zero opacity set. I have added another keyframe at c21 seconds and have set the opacity to 100. I have set a further keyframe at 30.0s and this has the 100 opacity set.

When I play this back I hear the soundtrack of the video clip but never see the image because of the opacity settings on the various keyframes. PTE is doing what it should in my test.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

I have tried to follow your instructions and get a different result to you at the end of the first phase.

I have created a blank slide and given it duration 30.0s (File New, Insert Blank Slide, change duration via Slide List). To this I have added a video clip whose duration is 6.0s (O&A Add Video). This appears in the O&A as the only object. I have set the opacity to zero at offset 0 seconds. I have added another keyframe at c20 seconds. This has the zero opacity set. I have added another keyframe at c21 seconds and have set the opacity to 100. I have set a further keyframe at 30.0s and this has the 100 opacity set.

When I play this back I hear the soundtrack of the video clip but never see the image because of the opacity settings on the various keyframes. PTE is doing what it should in my test.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for trying my method, first question, why doesn't the clip appear at C21? If you've changed the opacity to 100% at C21, IMO that's when it should appear? Second question, when do you start to hear the sound track of the video clip? In my show I have got so fed up with trying to get the slide & its components to work as I think they should I have ditched the sequence. IMO it is something to do with the length of the video clip, which in my trials appears at C21 as the still from the end of the clip.

Regards Eric

Thanks for trying my method, first question, why doesn't the clip appear at C21?

When you add an object via the O&A window, every such object starts at offset zero into that slide. The clip has been added at offset 0 into the slide; therefore it starts playing at offset 0. Therefore I hear the sound immediately but never see the video actually get played because it ends at +6 seconds whilst it is still at opacity zero.

If you've changed the opacity to 100% at C21, IMO that's when it should appear?

It does. As a frozen final frame that has been sat there since, in my case, +6 seconds.

Second question, when do you start to hear the sound track of the video clip? (See above) In my show I have got so fed up with trying to get the slide & its components to work as I think they should I have ditched the sequence. IMO it is something to do with the length of the video clip, which in my trials appears at C21 as the still from the end of the clip (See above).

If you want to delay the start of the video clip to later in the slide, you need to modify the video clip's properties in the O&A window. And at this point I have stepped outside my personal experience completely. I think you need to modify the start time field. But I do not know whether this is expressed relative to the start of the slide or the start of the entire sequence. A little experimentation is called for. And that is how we learn the techniques that we then can use in subsequent sequences.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

I have now read the latest DG info on the subject. I have added literally hundreds of video clips to my shows over the period video was introduced but it's only in 8.0.1 that I encountered the problem I started this thread for. To assist others who may also be suffering similar problems, I will take things stage by stage. I have added screen shots of the stages. Vid 1 is my base image with a video clip added from the O&A screen run through to mid point. The clip runs as the slide starts, vid2 shows the settings I applied to get the video to start later into the clip. Vid3 is what appears after I applied the settings & clicked on a blank section. I then ran the section, the two item still & vid appeared together but the video didn't run. I assume I should have added a timed point or key frame, reduced the opacity of the video clip to 0, dragged the KF /tp to where I wanted it to open, added a KF/tp & increased the opacity to 100%, but I am at the early stages of using this method & looking for confirmation that the first 3 stages were correct before proceeding further. My observation sees that the figures I added into the were different in the following vid3 after clicking a blank spot.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-37998000-1391002216_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-28894300-1391002228_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-62327400-1391002238_thumb.jp

To get your video clip to delay its start until, say, 12 seconds into the slide, proceed as follows:

- Insert the clip as an object via O&A

- With the video clip as the selected object in the O&A window...

- In the Properties tab for O&A, set the Offset to 12 seconds

- In the Animation tab of O&A, add a keyframe at 12 seconds (12000ms)

- Add another keyframe at 11960ms, set opacity to zero on this keyframe

- Go to the offset 0 keyframe (which I think of as the "origin" keyframe) and set opacity zero here as well.

Play that in O&A, mini-viewer and Preview.

Does it do what you want with the video? On my system, the blank slide shows, in silence, until the 12 second mark when the video clip plays, with its soundtrack, and then it sits at its last frame, in silence, until the end of the slide.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

To get your video clip to delay its start until, say, 12 seconds into the slide, proceed as follows:

- Insert the clip as an object via O&A

- With the video clip as the selected object in the O&A window...

- In the Properties tab for O&A, set the Offset to 12 seconds

- In the Animation tab of O&A, add a keyframe at 12 seconds (12000ms)

- Add another keyframe at 11960ms, set opacity to zero on this keyframe

- Go to the offset 0 keyframe (which I think of as the "origin" keyframe) and set opacity zero here as well.

Play that in O&A, mini-viewer and Preview.

Does it do what you want with the video? On my system, the blank slide shows, in silence, until the 12 second mark when the video clip plays, with its soundtrack, and then it sits at its last frame, in silence, until the end of the slide.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I tried this earlier this afternoon in between trying to repair a couple of antique lamps, so my actions were a little rough, but I achieved the desired effect. Will try to refine it tomorrow, indoor bowls tonight, Les Mis' AV video show in house last night, not enough days in the week, PS out of 2 lamps, one is OK one dead. Will practice the tecnique in my latest production, Marriot Edgar's "'Ole in the Ark".

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS click the thumbnail.

post-5560-0-98403100-1391017229_thumb.gi