WnSoft Forums

Parent/Child in Style

JEB

Hi,

Is there any way that a style could be created to achieve the following.

It might be best to state what my main objective is.

I am looking for a simple method to convert a sequence made for display on a computer monitor/projector to TV without loosing any part of the image. I know there are various work arounds but I wondered if “styles” might not be a possible way forward. I’m not comfortable with this aspect of PTE.

I have been experimenting using the supplied Styles, specifically Border/Simple and getting encouraging results. I have accepted that it is inevitable that there will be black vertical edges (preferable to clipping top and bottom) in my opinion. I am setting the size to 82% (to fit with TV safe zone) and the background to Zero and getting satisfactory results for simple slides that only contain one object. What I would like would be for children of that object to be included in the style.

Could this be done?

Regards

John

John,

Presumably you are talking about DVD?

There is no need to "compensate" for this when using MP4 Video played via USB.

There is a method which I posted some time ago.

Make EVERYTHING in a slide the Child(ren) of a Parent Blank Main Image.

For the PC you do nothing.

If you want to then reduce the whole Project for DVD you save as a different name or version and in Project Options / Advanced set xx% of the slide to show main image.

Done.

DG

Dave,

Yes, I do mean DVD.

However, I'm not certain I understand what you mean by "MP4 Video played via USB". Do you mean creating an MP4 version and putting it on a stick and plugging that into a TV? My TV's not up to that! Equally it sounds an expensive way of distribution. I increasingly have a need to distribute sequences to a number of people so DVD appears to be the most satisfactory method.

Cheers

John

Hi Dave,

Sorry to be a pain but I am having difficulty in setting this up! I assume you mean PO/Defaults/Main Image for new slides and NOT PO/Advanced.

I have found this to be erratic in the past when I have used it as I am now. In fact so erratic I can't get it to work for me at all.

I'm setting it to 82% and hitting the "Apply to all slides" and the "OK" buttons but nothing happens.

In the past when it has worked you get a gradual visual build up on the slide list.

Am I missing something

I've tried it on two machines both Vs 8.0.11

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Sorry - working from Memory is not always a good thing!!

Start a new show.

Create a Blank Slide same size as your project.

It has to be a JPEG/PNG and not a frame.

Add it to your blank project by dragging into the slide list. That way it will automatically become the Main Image.

Duplicate it as many times as necessary for the show.

Now add your image(s) as children of the Blank Main Image.

When you come to make your DVD apply your % of Main Image in PO/Defaults. 90-92% works fine for me on a Flat Screen Sony TV.

The % of Main Slide is applied to the Main Image and all children proportionally.

DG

Dave,

Thank you for your trouble. I do understand the theory and would like to get it to work but that is my problem - I can't get the % of Main Slide to be applied. I have tried this on two machines as I said above.

I'm setting it to 82% and hitting the "Apply to all slides" and the "OK" buttons but nothing happens.

I have found this to be erratic in the past so wonder if it is something I am not doing properly. Should I have anything else ticked?

Cheers

John

Dave,

Thank you.

Firstly, I have got the % to work (though don't know how) and have been able to burn a DVD to my satisfaction. Thank you for that. I think I now see a way forward.

However I still have this erratic problem with the "% of Main Slide".

I know that I should raise this elsewhere but before I do I would like to be sure that I am not doing something stupid - a fairly common activity of mine!

Having tried on numerous occasions to get this to work as described above without success I on this occasion ticked the "Display shadow" box and that appeared to enable the "%" function. I removed the tick from the "shadow" box without that affecting the "%".

I tried this action on the other machine but without success.

Any ideas?

John