WnSoft Forums

Video in PTE

vilara

Guest Yachtsman1
I have a mp4 video which weighs 13.4 MB. I place it in PTE and accepts optimization with videoconverter. Its quality is not top but its weight increased to 55.1 MB. Why?

Hi Vilara

Originally it used to be worse, sometime by a factor of 10. However, in the latest version usually an MP4 is converted to a lower MB. I think it could be something to do with the original's codec. Do you know the codec & what camera shot the video. :unsure:

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

The codec is H264,AAC.

What is the benefit of using optimization with vidéoconverter?

Usually it improves performance & lowers size. You can edit the video without converting also. One of my early Youtube tutorials shows how, see link below, it depicts 7.07 but I think 8 is similar.

Yachtsman1

Optimization creates a video which is much easier on the system. When a video is played back via executable code, if there are heavy animations, it really taxes the system to keep up. When video is optimized, the stress on the system is greatly reduced because the system doesn't have to both decode heavy compression as well as execute the video. Optimization makes the video most amenable to playback smoothly on challenged systems with less than optimal cpu and gpu. Even with my very powerful second system with a 4 gigabytes dedicated video RAM, 32 gigabytes of very fast system RAM and a top-end Intel CPU i7 playing back an MP3 with lots of animation can get jerky. After optimization, even my much less powerful XP system can nearly always play them smoothly.

Dedicated video players can play MP4 h.264 usually much smoother because that's "all" they are designed to do. PTE has many other functions and isn't designed as a dedicated video player so optimization works very well. The trade-off is larger file sizes because the decompression is already done before the video is loaded.

Best regards,

Lin